Hot Rod Forum banner

Importance of Adjustable Voltage on MIG welder

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  SirSpeedy 
#1 ·
I searched (really did), but still have a question on selecting a MIG welder. How important is it to have an infinately adjustable heat setting? I'll mainly be doing body panels, but will also be doing a sub-frame using tube approximately 1/8 thick.

BTW, I found a Millermatic 135 (infinite adjustable heat) with cart, extras and no shipping for $540. Sounds good to me, what'ya think?

Thanks

#2 ·
I used a mig and arc welder and the only time i adjusted the voltage or amprage is going from welding 1/8-1/4 to 3/4- +. The mig did not handel the bigger stuff, did great on small stuff.

If you never used a mig before do some practice a bit to insure good penetration of weld ( voltage = heat )

I'll check with the weld shop at work to the settings for sheat metal if your not shur on that.

#3 ·
i have a mig with full adjustability and haven't used anything other. but i'll bet if you go with the preset models and you need something in-between two settings, you'll be kicking your *** that you didn't go for the other one. i'd go with the better model as you can tune in the welder to whatever you need.

JB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.