Hot Rod Forum banner

Important rear end mounting question

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  71gtx 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I made bushings for my rear end to set onto the leaf springs. I used solid pipe that i drilled a hole into and pinned it through the springs. There is one problem and I need to know if this will affect my driveshaft angle into the rear end.

The holes i drilled were slightly off centered. I mounted the drivers side spring to rear end first and then the passenger side. However, the passenger's side would not but up because of the off centered hole on the drivers side which moved the mounting point over a slight amount. So I pushed in the spring and got it to bolt up.

Both sides bolted up, but since i had to move the right spring in (because the rear end became off centered slightly), will this cause a problem for the driveshaft to rear end yoke?

By the way, my right tire used to stick out more than my left, perhaps this mistake could benefit the centerline?

#2 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about the centering of the driveshaft.
If you were to have installed a ford 9 inch rear they are not at all centered for the pinions' input.
The only thing about your set-up is the spring bushings are tweaked a little, you may notice it acting a little smoother than before.
But it may also wear them a little quicker too, unless you switched to polyurethane bushings.

#3 ·
ok thanks for your help. i got her all bolted up and new shocks installed. just have to figure out an odd brake problem now. whats new?
what happened was when I went to install the brake hose to the rear end, it naturrally wound itself up in a snake fashion, so i couldn't reattatch the mount. however, where the brake hose meets the brake line, the brake line won't unscrew because it wants to strip. so is there any way for me to unwind the brake hose?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.