Hot Rod Forum banner

Impossible to locate steering pulley

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  S10xGN 
#1 ·
I need a 4 5/8" diameter press fit pulley with a 3/4 center hole. I bought 2 pulleys listed as press fit but they have a smaller center hole.

In the photo is a chrome pulley of proper size but wrong center hole next to a saginaw press fit with the correct hole. Due to clearance issues I must use the 4 5/8 diameter pulley. Any suggestions? I googled my *** off and can't find what I need. This is a type 2 pump with a fat shaft. My original Monte Carlo ss steering pulley fits the shaft but, again, the pulley is too big

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes,what he said. Or get the pump that fits the right pulley.It should not be hard for a machine shop to bore it out.Just remember it has to be able to be pulled off also.If there is enough thickness I would cut the center out of the factory one and machine it smooth then bore the chrome one for a tight press fit.Then you know it would fit your pump and be able to be installed and removed like factory.If you can't find anyone up there to do it send them to me and I will do it for you.Good luck,Hope this helps you.:thumbup:

#6 ·
There are some different configurations of pullers that can be adapted to the task at hand...On occasion I have needed to fabricate a custom puller for a particular task..I do not see the lack of a lip to be a large problem as a regular 3 jaw puller may work or one can make one the uses bolts through the holes in the pulley..Main thing is using ones thinking cap as that is the major tool in any shop..

Sam

#8 ·
Great suggestions and I actually prepared to bore it myself. I had 2 12" long tapered bits that probably would have done the trick

In the end, I took a list of 10 pumps to the auto parts store and made them show me every one. 3 matches the small shaft. I'll be putting that info in the project journal when I get to it (procharger install on 86 monte 383 stroker)

I have a pulley pulley that has 3 bolt holes that I then use nuts to grab the underside of the pulley. I usually put the pulley on too far then use the puller to align it.

The bore would have been faster and cheaper but the inner wall of the pulley would have been compromised I think. Cost me $60 for another pump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.