Improving your HF bead roller - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 02:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Improving your HF bead roller

Henry, I'm writing this with you in mind....
The HF bead roller is a great tool for anyone doing metal shaping .Its cheap enough so anyone can get one and advance their metal shaping skills.
When I bought mine it opened a whole new world to me and although the tool itself had limitations it can easily be improved bit by bit, to make the possibilities for it only limited to your imagination....It wasn't long (a half hour) before I knew I needed it to be powered so I started rummaging around the shop and shed for something to power it...before I post a pic of the bead rolling monstrosity I made let me first explain a few things ...
Theres many easier and nicer ways to power a bead roller all this stuff I had laying around and it aint Purdy...
First a stand , I found a drive shaft , a wheel ,and two short pieces of scarp (rusty) angle iron ...
The next thing I needed to do was power it I had a few commercial sewing machine tables and one had a motor so I used that because it also had a clutch when I hooked it up it spun those rollers way to fast heck it would spit that piece of metal out about 30 ft...I rememberd I had a gear reduction unit somewhere and found it ,mounted it and hooked a belt on one side but the roller shaft was way too big for the little 1/2 pully so I welded a 1/2" shaft on the end of the rollers shaft.... I'm in a rush so I just eye balled it and welded....it wobbles a bit but holly crap its running and at the perfect speed so I'm happy for a few months....Having a motor creates its own problems now it needs bushings and grease fitting before I ruin the shafts ,this I brought to the machine shop next door.When I picked it up he said no charge and he MADE The bushing out of bronze stock a solid bar.I finally talked him to talking 20.00 and taking the guys out for lunch. what a deal.. and a great bunch of guys...
Something else it needed was reinforcing ,it would flex and want to make the metal turn in a circle so I did the by welding a 1/4" piece of steel to the side.
With all that done it wasn't long before I needed a better way to load and unload the metal that screw in bolt with a tee handle didn't last long so instead of a spring I used a toggle clamp ,also laying around Then I welded a long handle on the bolt that loosens so the shaft can lift up ,no more finding a wrench.... Its been working just fine and everything has been working for a while so its a success.....
Ready for a good laugh ? Here she is in all her glory and without makeup on..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9131.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	125474   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9125.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	955.6 KB
ID:	125482   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9141.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	933.7 KB
ID:	125490   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9137.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	1,014.5 KB
ID:	125498  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
tech69 (03-02-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I like your thinking.

I sturdied mine up with the angle iron. Put bushings on the outer shaft supports.
I had an old almost worthless remote control 12 volt boat winch that worked forward and reverse. Tore it down to the basic motor/trans and mounted it on the lower stand.
bike chain and sprockets and she works. Needs a chain cover (someday) for safety. BOB
Old 03-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I have one,, Just didn't give it power yet...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_8583.JPG
Views:	2268
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	125674  
Old 03-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

power info

There was a lot of info posted last fall here on hotrodders.in the bead roller discussion and on John long's 53 chevy threads.
John used an old garage door motor, I used a HF 12 V winch, others used gear reduction motor,s sewing machine motors, electric drills.
Converting bead roller to power
Old 03-30-2014, 05:27 PM

Last journal entry: Actual Car Work
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
There was a lot of info posted last fall here on hotrodders.in the bead roller discussion and on John long's 53 chevy threads.
John used an old garage door motor, I used a HF 12 V winch, others used gear reduction motor,s sewing machine motors, electric drills.
Converting bead roller to power
I have a Sears garage door opener buried in the back of the storage unit, so I'll be making plans for my bead roller.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hduff View Post
I have a Sears garage door opener buried in the back of the storage unit, so I'll be making plans for my bead roller.
The biggest expense is the cost of a 72 tooth sprocket which you will need to keep it from running too fast u-n-l-e-s-s.......you use a jack shaft with bouble reduction. Though I did not do this, I believe I would the next time as parts would be much cheaper and it would be easier to change sprockets to adjust speed. Of course those that use a winch or electric dril have the advantage of adjustable motor speed.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
hduff (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 05:56 PM

Last journal entry: Actual Car Work
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
The biggest expense is the cost of a 72 tooth sprocket which you will need to keep it from running too fast u-n-l-e-s-s.......you use a jack shaft with double reduction. Though I did not do this, I believe I would the next time as parts would be much cheaper and it would be easier to change sprockets to adjust speed. Of course those that use a winch or electric drill have the advantage of adjustable motor speed.

John
There's a lawn mower repair shop next door that services commercial mowers. I've seen some large sprockets on some of them, so I'll check there and see what they have or what they might suggest as a source.

I also have a 110V winch with a tethered control switch that came from Northern, IIRC, but I'm hesitant to cobble that up since I use it to pull non-driving cars up on on my Kwik-Lift.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hduff View Post
There's a lawn mower repair shop next door that services commercial mowers. I've seen some large sprockets on some of them, so I'll check there and see what they have or what they might suggest as a source.

I also have a 110V winch with a tethered control switch that came from Northern, IIRC, but I'm hesitant to cobble that up since I use it to pull non-driving cars up on on my Kwik-Lift.
Yes, I would too. I believe you can find some sprockets that will let you get your reduction down without buying a really big one. I ended up with about 35 dollars in my sprocket but by the time a paid freight on it and bought a weld hub I ended up with around 50 dollars in one sprocket. On the positive side I converted the bead roller for about 135 dollars total and am very happy with how it has worked so far.

John
Old 03-31-2014, 08:24 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

a couple minor things I feel can help improve it are to add extra shaft collars, dimple the rod where the set screw will sit, and get a beefier bigger sized tension screw. My phony embossing dies stripped out the tension bolt cause they didn't run true and applied an upward pressure to the bolt. So I will either go 3/8" or 1/2" and get a handle for it, and pony up the cash for hoosier embossing dies. Still debating on whether to put a steering wheel on it or a motor.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 AM

The shafts are supposed to be cut flat where the set screws sit so they don't slip,better check yours,tech.
When I got mine I welded a rod to the head of the tension bolt so I didn't need a wrench and it worked much better,later on I used the toggle clamp and eliminated the tension bolt all together. that was one of the best improvements I made as far as being easier to use.
One thing I should warn everybody about is if you motorize your roller you better have some bushings and grease fittings installed ,those shafts wont last very long without them.
The set screws that hold the rollers on the shafts might give you trouble,they are pretty cheap and should ALL be replaced with something of better quality ,they strip easily ,I've already had to drill out a couple..
Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM

deadbodyman, can you post a picture of the toggle clamp you are talking about???

Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22george View Post
deadbodyman, can you post a picture of the toggle clamp you are talking about???

Thanks
Sure, That would be the third pic in post #1....Once you adjust the tension where you want it all you do is raise the lever to release the metal your working on...Then just push the lever down and its ready to roll ...Well......Also,theres the shaft block that has a lever instead of using a wrench.(same picture) I hate looking for a tool when I'm in the zone ...So when I'm rolling along and I want to pull out the metal or put another bead in ,I raise the lever to loosen the shaft block then pull the toggle lever which raises the shaft ,move the metal,tighten the shaft block lever and then the tighten the toggle,,,the tension is always the same as what you set it at. no tension bolt to strip or wear out (like vise grips)......its pretty handy...I had this clamp laying around but they're about 5-10.00....
I think the second pic shows the rod I welded to the tension bolt when I first got the unit to eliminate the wrench...
Basicly I only need a wrench and allen wrench to remove the rollers, that's all the tools I need to operate it.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Sure, That would be the third pic

.,,the tension is always the same as what you set it at. no tension bolt to strip or wear out (like vise grips)......its pretty handy...I had this clamp laying around but they're about 5-10.00....
Now you have quit preaching and started meddling................

I have had those vice grips on my tension bolt for 20 years.

John
Old 04-02-2014, 04:07 PM

l was having a brain fart. Going back and looking at the pictures again l see what you did.

Thanks for the reply
Old 04-02-2014, 11:10 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
The shafts are supposed to be cut flat where the set screws sit so they don't slip,better check yours,tech.
When I got mine I welded a rod to the head of the tension bolt so I didn't need a wrench and it worked much better,later on I used the toggle clamp and eliminated the tension bolt all together. that was one of the best improvements I made as far as being easier to use.
One thing I should warn everybody about is if you motorize your roller you better have some bushings and grease fittings installed ,those shafts wont last very long without them.
The set screws that hold the rollers on the shafts might give you trouble,they are pretty cheap and should ALL be replaced with something of better quality ,they strip easily ,I've already had to drill out a couple..
I haven't really been paying attention to the bead roller lately but am afraid if there is a flat spot it would be in the wrong place. I just recall seeing a dimple so I will probably make another dimple for an extra set of collars. The toggle clamp sounds like a great idea.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.