Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Inaccurate car manufacturors mileage ratings....what can be done?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Inaccurate car manufacturors mileage ratings....what can be done?

Hey guys,

Some of you may have read my post about my new truck getting bad fuel mileage. After talking to the dealership, they say there is nothing wrong and nothing they can do. Another dealership told me that it is not a warranty item. Since then I have driven real easy and the speed limit and still can not even get close to the rated mileage. It is suppose to get 19MPG on the highway and will only get 16-16.5 with easy driving at 70MPH. My old truck with the same drive trane package exactly would get 19-19.5 under the same conditions and had the same modifications(air filter and exhaust)

The truck has 4 O2 sensors that are used for a blended AFR reading to control the closed loop operation of the engine. I believe that one of these sensors is slightly out of range and likely causing the problem, but I have not way to prove it and the dealership is not willing to check this.

The question is what are the damn ratings good for? Is there anything that can be done when a vehicle is way off on the rated mileage? I have not been able to find anything on the net.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris