Hot Rod Forum banner

Incandesent Light Bulb Ban

21K views 90 replies 27 participants last post by  SuthnCustoms 
#1 ·
Our government has once again deemed what is best for the general public.
They have decided (some time ago) that incandesent light bulbs are not energy wise and that they should ban them from being sold.This is being done to force the manufacturers to create better more efficient bulbs for americans to use (yeah right , and 134 a was supposed to fix the ozone too remember)
However california has banned the sale of 100 watt bulbs allready leading the way for the rest of the nation as of 2012. After that anything above a 40 watt will be outlawed in 2014. Some decorative bulbs (22 alltogether) will be an exception as far as I know, but untill when I dont know.
This is not to say you cant buy a 100 watt bulb, but it wont be a energy hog like an old thomas edison designed incandesent. It may be a halogen or a LED ( not cheap).
NOW, all that being said a lot of people are stocking up around here as some of them think you wont be able to buy any incandesent bulb of any wattage , wich is probably due to bad information, you know second hand, heard it from so and so.... My point is only to get everyone to do a little homework on the subject so you are not all caught off gaurd when the legislation is in effect.
In shop lights the rough service incandesents are kinda pricey anyhow and they melt plastic covers and the metal ones burn the skin , so we are using the spiral flouresecent bulbs at 13 bucks a piece. They are a little more exspensive but they dont get hot and the light they give is actually quite good.I drop mine a lot and they handle the abuse well.
Not that I am in favor of 50 dollar light bulbs but this is one place I have to say I prefer the flourescent bulbs.
I will be stocking up on bulbs for the house but we dont use anything larger than a 60 watt bulb so I have time to get to the store.
It might pay to look at the alternatives and costs long term and short term to see wich direction you want to go.Maybe it is time to stock up on light bulbs like guys did with R 12. ;)

See less See more
#77 ·
gow589 said:
I know it was a Republican bill which he was very sorry for and is now trying to get it revered.
No, it was a Democratic bill. Introduced by Nick Rahall (D, WVa). Part of the Democratic Party's 100 hour plan. Rahall ended up opposing the bill.

Granted, George Bush signed it, but he was too liberal for me most of the time anyway.

BTW, they recommend you allow the CFL bulbs to burn for a minimum of 15 minutes. O/W, their life expectancy approaches that of incandescent bulbs. Please remember that tomorrow morning when you are getting your clothes out of your closet.

#79 ·
redsdad said:
No, it was a Democratic bill. Introduced by Nick Rahall (D, WVa). Part of the Democratic Party's 100 hour plan. Rahall ended up opposing the bill.

Granted, George Bush signed it, but he was too liberal for me most of the time anyway.

BTW, they recommend you allow the CFL bulbs to burn for a minimum of 15 minutes. O/W, their life expectancy approaches that of incandescent bulbs. Please remember that tomorrow morning when you are getting your clothes out of your closet.
I thought it was a co other bill by Fred Upton (R) and Jane Harman (D). I also thought Upton has been trying to get a bill together to reverse the ban.

#81 ·
redsdad said:

It was a Democrat who introduced the bill, it was an Bi-partisan committee who endorsed/supported the bill, and of course George W signed it.

#82 ·
This is what we should be discussing

http://www.peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:MPK_Co's_Litroenergy

I am sure it is pricey but it looks promising
Imagine your ceiling now becomes your light source
Darn Cant get the link to work

#87 ·
In today's NYT: Fearing the Phase-Out of Incandescent Bulbs (bolding is mine)

Late in his second term, George W. Bush signed into law the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which requires light bulb makers to improve the efficiency of incandescent bulbs by 25 percent. The details of the law dictated a phase-out of the manufacture of certain bulbs in their current incarnation, starting with 100-watt bulbs next January.

The law does not ban the use or manufacture of all incandescent bulbs, nor does it mandate the use of compact fluorescent ones. It simply requires that companies make some of their incandescent bulbs work a bit better, meeting a series of rolling deadlines between 2012 and 2014.

Furthermore, all sorts of exemptions are written into the law, which means that all sorts of bulbs are getting a free pass and can keep their energy-guzzling ways indefinitely, including "specialty bulbs" like the Edison bulbs favored by Mr. Henault, as well as three-way bulbs, silver-bottomed bulbs, chandelier bulbs, refrigerator bulbs, plant lights and many, many others.
...and...

Joseph Higbee, a spokesman for the electrical manufacturers association, offered his take on the situation: "Unfortunately people do not yet understand this lighting transition, and mistakenly think they won’t be able to buy incandescent light bulbs. This misinformation has been promoted by a number of media outlets. Incandescent light bulbs are not being banned, and the new federal energy-efficiency standards for light bulbs do not mandate the use of CFLs."

#90 ·
Incandescent bulbs are not as "inefficient" as people think. Frankly, for 4-5 months a year, they are 100% efficient as home heating. If you REALLY want to save on your natural gas bill, you will turn on every incandescent light bulb in the house during those times. Electric kW-hrs are cheaper than gas kW-hrs these days.

#91 ·
We switched over to all CFL bulbs a few years ago,even the motion spot lights outside and 2 of the spot lights stay on that directs towards to the tool shed...we found a "slight" difference in our monthly bill..
But 3 months ago we spent about 100.00 on the new LED light bulbs for the house..plus switched over to solar motion lights with 100 LED lights in them and they are super BRIGHT and cost nothing to use...

Our first full month with all these cut our electric bill 100.00..well worth the money and these things are supposed to last for alot of years and throw no heat off them..it took a lil gettin used to the different shade of light they give off in the table lamps on the end tables at the end of our couches..but man was it worth the 100.00 we spent for them..we will soon be goin 100% LED light in the house..we bought 1 for each of the 3 bedrooms in the ceiling and 3 for the living room and 3 for the kitchen just to try them out..soon be in ALL lights in the house.
Buy them online..do a search and can buy them buy the bulk alot cheaper than at the franchise stores...we were NOT disapointed with LED's...we were NOT IMPRESSED with the CFL's though........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.