Incandesent Light Bulb Ban - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminga
The CFL's last about 30 minutes in my blast cabinet. Don't know what about the environment kills them but it does.

There is a tremendous amount of discharge from static build-up inside a blasting Cabinet (just try blasting in the dark and you will see) so that is probably the problem there. CFLs are not the answer to everything obviously and I hope the newer technology will solve the shortcomings of them. LED lights costing $50 is the news right now but just like everything else they are going to squeeze (as in price gouge) every penny they can out of them to recoup R&D costs but the price will come in line before long, much too big of a market there so competition will be fierce quickly leading to lower prices. We need to embrace this new technology and incandescent bulbs should be trashed as soon as possible instead of hoarding them up for future use.

Each year thousands of tons of coal and the resulting pollution from the emissions could be saved if the entire country switched over to even the CFLs so why is there so much resistance to change?

The local utility had a sign at the building entrance that said a 75 watt bulb cost $140 a year to burn if it was left on 24 hours a day so if an energy efficient bulb used 1/10 of that, well the incandescent bulb hoarders need to do some math!

It actually gets worse in the summer when running an air conditioner because all those bulbs burning are in effect little heaters causing your AC to work even harder, don't think it amounts to much? Those little toy ovens that have been sold for many years use a light bulb to bake cakes and several burning at one time most certainly can cause an AC to use more power in addition to the power already being wasted by the bulb, scoff at this if you like but it will cost you when that power bill arrives.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

The energy savings from CFL's are significantly reduced in cold-weather applications, where the incandescent waste heat is utilized:

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...eenhouse-gases
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact...ng_and_cooling

Admittedly, this is not a particularly common scenario, but still interesting to figure in to the larger picture.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Main thing I do not like about those new bulbs is the quality of the light. seems like they put out a harsh lite which is hard on my eyes..hope they come up with some better ones in that area..

Sam
Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Main thing I do not like about those new bulbs is the quality of the light. seems like they put out a harsh lite which is hard on my eyes..hope they come up with some better ones in that area.Sam

Are you talking about the LED lights? I have not seen one yet but I sure don't like the light from an LEd flashlight, it even makes some people nauseous.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Even the flourescents will cause some issues as the lite quality is not good..LED's fugitabout it..

Sam
Old 05-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

We kitted the whole house out with them, they all popped one after the other.
Went back to regular lighting, until that is they are no longer available here in Spain.
The U.K. has regular bulbs banned and unavailable I believe.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Are you talking about the LED lights? I have not seen one yet but I sure don't like the light from an LEd flashlight, it even makes some people nauseous.
My woman gets migrane headaches pretty easy , and flourescent bulbs are not good for that. Something about that wavelength of light really messes with her. No flouresecent bulbs at my house.
I am trying to be open minded, dont get me wrong , we need make changes for the better use of energy, its just that some people cant afford this stuff and it is hurting the finacially.
I would put neon in if it were cost effective. LOL
Old 05-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
My woman gets migrane headaches pretty easy , and flourescent bulbs are not good for that. Something about that wavelength of light really messes with her. No flouresecent bulbs at my house.
Isīnt it the light cycling on and off that causes the migrains ?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
:

That's not the first time I have heard that one and I am sure there must be something to it, flickering lights have been known to trigger migraines. I have heard that fluorescent lighting is dangerous around rotating machinery and some shops will not use it because of this and I certainly can't say that it's not true. However I have fluorescent lighting over my lathe and I have tried to vary the speed to get this "timing light" effect that is supposed to make spinning tools and/or stock appear to be stopped, it vary well may happen under the right circumstances but I have not been able to create this effect.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

I used to lift my front bicycle wheel and spin it under street lights,
the tire tread would act like the wagon wheels in movies, appear to go in direction of spin or backwards, then for a brief period "stop".
Old 05-19-2011, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

That's the effect I was trying to achieve but I was never able to do it under standard fluorescent tubes, not saying it don't happen just that I could not do it. The hazard is supposed to be that under the right conditions around spinning machinery a moving part could appear to be stationary and someone might touch or try to grab this moving part. I have heard of this happening and to play it safe I will assume it can happen and work on that assumption while around moving equipment.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

a Speed card for a record player, will create that 'Stop' effect when it's spinning 33.5 RPM ( and that's the purpose ) and it actually needs a flourescent light to work

Tubular flourescent lights w/ the ballast can mess with computer monitors and make you dizzy if there running at the same frequency as the lights. I have experienced that.. CFL's generally don't have that problem, but they could under the right circumstances
Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I think one big problem is the environmental "extremists", as I call them, that scream the sky is falling over just about anything so nobody pays much attention to them when they are trying to point out something that is in fact a real problem. Industrial pollutants, such as those Chroming shops which can be really bad if not properly run, are still fouling our environment at an alarming rate and the dumping of change oil, antifreeze, paint by products and waste, etc by DIY'ers is just about as bad. Scoffing at polluting the environment is, well let's just say less than smart, and if we don't make some changes our children are going to suffer from it even if we don't. Things have gotten a lot better in the last 50 years but we still have a long way to go and as the population and crowding continue to get worse we had better start to rethink our attitudes on the environment while there is still some livable environment left!
I was at a garage, recently, and was reading one of their trade magazines. There was an article concerning proposed ban on garages, parts stores, etc. accepting used oil for recycling. The article said that the regulatory agency, EPA or what ever, claims that that recycled oil is being used improperly by the companies that pick it up. They want to implement government drop off points as the only legal places to dispose of used oil. Knowing the government, theses places will only be open 6 hours a day every other day except weekends!

What do you guys think? Would you drive X miles out of your way to the drop off point, or would you.....?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen242
I was at a garage, recently, and was reading one of their trade magazines. There was an article concerning proposed ban on garages, parts stores, etc. accepting used oil for recycling. The article said that the regulatory agency, EPA or what ever, claims that that recycled oil is being used improperly by the companies that pick it up. They want to implement government drop off points as the only legal places to dispose of used oil. Knowing the government, theses places will only be open 6 hours a day every other day except weekends!

What do you guys think? Would you drive X miles out of your way to the drop off point, or would you.....?
Nope, I got a 55 gallon drum that would take a while to fill, then when I do/ did, just put it beside the road with a " FREE " sign, and someone will take it

Repair shops take the oil and and use it to fuel there waste oil burners they heat their shops with.. Even tho the new burners are enviromentally approved and considered green energy. Govt cannot tax somthing that is free and my guess is they want their cut.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I agree with Oldred on a lot of items . I am careful to keep up antifreeze spills and keeping the oil containers, clean and emptied in the big barrel so it can be collected by the recyclers.
With the lighting issue I agree that incandescents are a energy hog, I am for a change.
Some people cant afford the price of change though. Like young people who are working for minimum wage or the college student, young couples with children etc.
Mandateing something like a light bulb that costs 50 bucks isnt going to be popular with a family that can barely afford food,clothing,diapers, and everything else life demands.
We desperatly need some form of usable light bulb that isnt exspensive as heck or toxic when broken, like bulbs that contain mercury and ultimatley end up in a landfill because the recycling factor wasnt implemented before the device.
LED lighting requires the growing of crystals that leave a lot of chemical by products behind after the product is made, that makes no sense either.
Sodium gas filled lighting is very orange but is pretty efficient compared to an incandescent.
My thoughts are the real energy savers will be eco friendly also, will ultimatley be gas discharge style lighting. JMO
(look at xenon for instance)

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.