Incandesent Light Bulb Ban - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 PM
It's shady under this tree...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen242
I was at a garage, recently, and was reading one of their trade magazines. There was an article concerning proposed ban on garages, parts stores, etc. accepting used oil for recycling. The article said that the regulatory agency, EPA or what ever, claims that that recycled oil is being used improperly by the companies that pick it up. They want to implement government drop off points as the only legal places to dispose of used oil. Knowing the government, theses places will only be open 6 hours a day every other day except weekends!

What do you guys think? Would you drive X miles out of your way to the drop off point, or would you.....?
Counties in North Carolina offer drop of areas like this at the "sanitary" landfills. It's not easy, and far from convenient. The bins always fill up fast, are far from "eco-friendly" and a general PITA. It's easier and cleaner to just run to the local parts store where the facilities are insanely clean and dump it there.

Oh, and yeah, 8-4 Monday through Friday isn't convenient either.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Another misconception. It will end up costing more over time. Have you read anything about the cleanup when you break one of these. It's a 15 step process.
Imagine the fine imposed when caught dumping an old one. That mercury will get in the drinking water.
Also, the expense of gearing up a factory to make these. Or will we let China do it ?
Just think of the truck loads of mercury going thru your area on the way to the factory.
All the handling of the old ones will have to be borne by , you guessed it , the taxpayer.
Want to cut down on energy consumption?
Turn off the light when you leave the room
Turn off the lights that are left on ALL NIGHT in parking lots when all the stores are closed. Sports stadiums run their huge score boards when no one is there. Ball field lite up all noght when no one playing.
I could go on. I lived thru the OPEC energy crisis when we all drove gas guzzlers and could not get gas' There were all sorts of inventives for cutting down on waste.
We need to start that again. It would be priority if there was a shortage. Sorry for the vent, but this mandating of flourescent bulbs is another invasion of your life by the goody twoshoes of this country.
They will eventually get around to us and our gas guzzling street rods.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 AM

Last journal entry: Cleaning and Powder coat
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Main thing I do not like about those new bulbs is the quality of the light. seems like they put out a harsh lite which is hard on my eyes..hope they come up with some better ones in that area..

Sam

One of the key's to that is picking the right color temperature. 5000K puts off something akin to daylight.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:14 AM

Last journal entry: Cleaning and Powder coat
Last photo:

Red,

I agree with you we have to do our part. I also believe that if it makes enough sense to the bottom line people will follow along and do their part without having to be forced to.

Case in point.

Couple of months ago I went looking for a toilet seat and a new float valve. Turns out it was going to cost me about $60 bucks for both items. I passed new ULF toilets looking for them and they were $98. So I said what the hell, bought one and it worked so well I went back and bought enough to replace the whole house. Cost around $300 and some time. The water bill dropped from $40/month to $24/month.

We replaced windows and the roof on the house with more energy efficient options and cut our home heating bill by 1/3.

My car is coming back after a rebuild and I'm planning on being able to run high boost without leaded race gas.

My garage has always had florescent tubes.

The part of this that's hard for me to swallow is the mandatory part.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Another misconception. It will end up costing more over time. Have you read anything about the cleanup when you break one of these. It's a 15 step process.
Imagine the fine imposed when caught dumping an old one. That mercury will get in the drinking water.
Also, the expense of gearing up a factory to make these. Or will we let China do it ?
$6000-$10,000 bill for EPA cleanup, 1 broken bulb.

There will be 'NO' US factories making these bulbs. After the Ban comes in effect the last Incandesant factory will close. All bulbs will be made in China @ GE plant. Thanks to GE & Obama's boy Jeffrey Immelt. Man they're really creating those US jobs.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...B9G1tweFm9ToDg
Old 05-21-2011, 05:36 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

And the most ridiculous part of all this, are the posters here that buy into this hype.

Many gripe about the high cost of the things such as the K&N air filter that can be used over and over at no extra cost .......... but will run right out and spend 100s on stupid light bulbs so that they can post about how green they are and now we are safe ........... what a crock ...

Want to keep the environment clean; quit drinking beer, eating tacos and farting....
Old 05-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

I'm all about the environment and doing whats right, however--some of my loudest complaining is about so-called green things, that when you stand back and look at the big picture, are far worse for the environment

dont get me started about the tree huggers around here screwing everything up

thats like the whole mississippi river thing
if we were still dredging rivers like the old days, it would flow out to sea better
not forcing us to flood out a bunch of city dumps and backwoods meth labs
Old 05-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Matt is right. there are no "green " products only products " less brown" in one way or another and it is all just a tradeoff. There is allways something hidden as a cost to going "Green".
The end of the year is when the ban on 100 watt bulbs comes into play, and at the beginning of 2014 all incandescent bulbs above 40 watts are to be banned.( some decorative bulbs are going to be an exception)
Mercury bulbs are not the answer. It is just some capitalists hiding behind politics to make a lot of money , I am not against capitalism, just the dirty politics used to exploit the masses to reap large gains in its name.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,081 Times in 964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink
Lights that operate with a dimmer switch such as the bulbs in ceiling fans must be incandescant bulbs. Stock up on those. It seems that enviromental and conservation laws passed in California determines what the rest of the country will have. California was successful in getting rid of Magic Mirror lacquer paint and replaced it with stupid water base paint that wears off in ten years. You cannot get parts chromed in California. I have guys in California calling me wanting to know where they can get good triple chrome plating done in Texas. I refer them to chrome shops on the east coast (Paul's Plating) where they don't care about the enviroment.

Some day California is going to slide off into the Pacific Ocean and then our life will return to normal.
The truth is all the California chrome business isn't going to Texas or any other state, it's going to MEXICO! We have a number of chrome and bumper remanufacturing companies in and around the SF bay area who used to do the chroming here. MANY of these companies now truck all their stuff to Mexico every day for the plating process. One of my brothers childhood friends has one of these companies. He had a chrome plating facility about 20 miles from here, closed it down about ten years ago and he opened up a plant (along with a nice condo) in Mexico and that is where all the nasty old plating is done.

So like so many things all of America is doing we are not eliminating a pollutant, we are simply moving it to another place on earth. Just like millions of tons of pollutants that are being produced in countries all over the globe making products for the US that used to be made here.
Oh yeah, we are doing a wonderful feels good but does close to nothing job we should be proud of.

Brian
Old 05-21-2011, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

I have a 65 year old house and I will need to change all the ceiling fixtures to put the florescent bulbs up. At least the ones I have found so far. I just had a problem last night in the kids room, bulb burnt out and the newest bulb bought that I thought would work doesn't. The base of the florescent bulb is so big it hits the fixture and can't be screwed in all the way to work.

I am actually heading off to the hardware store right now to see if I can get some adapters or extenders or something so they will work. I have to assume other people have the same problem, I can't be the only guy who isn't running down to the McHome store to buy some Chinese junk fixture to replace my cool vintage ones!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8148.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	55477  
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The globe type CFL should work in that being there the same dimensions as incandescent. They do take a few mins to warm up to full brightness tho..

I have a celing fixture where incanscent bulbs overheated and blew prematurely ( enclosed fixture ). The globe CFLs fits in just fine, and they seem to be lasting
Old 05-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

I'm heading off right now to the store to see about them, thanks.

Brian
Old 05-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
And the most ridiculous part of all this, are the posters here that buy into this hype.

Many gripe about the high cost of the things such as the K&N air filter that can be used over and over at no extra cost .......... but will run right out and spend 100s on stupid light bulbs so that they can post about how green they are and now we are safe ........... what a crock ...

Want to keep the environment clean; quit drinking beer, eating tacos and farting....

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but that is an example of going to other extreme and thinking like that is what is polluting our environment, and make no mistake we are still polluting. This is just the opposite of what I mentioned earlier about the "environmental extremists" who go overboard the other way, fellows there is a middle ground if we would just take the time to look for it and make a few compromises. We do not need to all just ride bicycles and switch to solar or wind power but we do need to take into consideration what we drive for daily chores and try to conserve and be less polluting in our daily lives, a 3 ton 4X4 driving one person 40 miles one-way to work everyday on dry pavement is the kind of thing we need to stop doing.

I agree that CFLs are not the answer for the lighting situation which is only a part of the over-all energy conservation effort but it is a very good start and beats the hell out of the ancient alternative until something better comes along which will happen shortly.

latech and Matt both have excellent points and I think the biggest problem is that the extremists refuse to look at "the big picture" and they simply don't, or won't, realize that most "Green" technology is a trade-off. OTOH we need to also accept that most "green" alternatives, while far from perfect, are often better than the old tech so both sides need to look at the "big picture".

A good example was a few years ago when Ethanol was being pushed by the "Greens" as being the answer to oil consumption and auto pollution After a while it became apparent that when all was considered such as the total energy consumed in planting, harvesting, fertilizing and then refining the plants to produce the Ethanol it turns out there was little or nothing to be gained in the way of energy (in fact some studies show a net loss). Plus from a pollution standpoint the whole process of producing the Ethanol actually dumped more pollutants into the environment that just burning petroleum, granted a different kind of pollution but the over-all effect was worse.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:25 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Last fall my child got a "Green Energy" box from the school. Every child got one. These were full of FREE items. 2 florescent bulbs, 2 shower heads, 2 faucet heads, 2 low energy night lights, bags to measure flow of water in your faucets to make sure your not using too much, bags to measure flow the flow of your shower to make sure your not using too much water, temperature stickers to make sure your fridge is not too cold, temp stickers to make sure your house is not too warm or cold, temp sticks to check the temp of your faucet water to make sure it is not too hot, and a lot more.

What a freaking joke! $50-75 free to every child at school....of your money and mine through a government program! Ironically, I opened the box while we were sitting at dinner. The florescent bulb was broken in the box!!! AT THE DINNER TABLE! I put the bulb/box in a ziplock. I told her to take it back to her teacher and tell him we DON'T want a replacement. He huffed and TOSSED IT IN THE TRASH!

We work our *** off for a .01% improvement in energy and it cost us hundreds of dollars! ALL of this ignores the big picture and the real problems but is a program which makes them "feel good" about what their doing; at everyone elses expense!
Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

By the way, the green energy night light would not illuminate enough to actually walk in a dark hallway. You still had to turn on a light to see what you are doing.

At our current electrical rate, a 75w light bulb is $0.01 per hour. If you drink one $.075 mt dew per day that will light up 3 bulbs all day. And if they are off at night that's 3 bulbs for 2 days. And if you only have your lights on when you need them, that is 3 bulbs for a week!!!

I have 8 foot florescent bulbs in my shop. One thing I have learned over the years is even the better bulbs are short on wavelength. You still need some natural light. Sure things are illuminated but not on all wave lengths. If you are looking at stuff under florescent at night or with doors closed and no natural light, notice how hard you strain to see what you are looking at. I have a light tree with 3 tungsten bulbs. When I turn the tree on my project, I can feel my eyes relax as it brings in a much more full wave length of light.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.