Hot Rod Forum banner

independent front suspension

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Don Meyer 
#1 ·
I would like to install an IFS on a 1961 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II. I purchased a wrecked `93 Vette and plan to install the motor and automatic transmission in the Rolls. The IFS in the Vette would be too light for this heavy car (4,800 pounds). The Vette engine and transmission weight approximately the same as the Rolls engine/transmission. I also want rack and pinion, disc brakes all-around.I plan to install air conditioning, power steering, power brakes..the works. The Mustang II, I belive, will also be too light for this car. I will install a Ford 9" rear end.
I have been searching the internet for several weeks and have been reading the Forum comments concerning IFS for more hours than I care to count. Can anyone recommend a company that could fabricate an IFS kit for my Rolls? Thanks, friends.

#2 ·
Do some measuring and compare the wheelbase and track widths of your Cloud to a '77 to '96 "B" body Impala, Caprice, Parisienne, Coupe Deville, Station Wagons, etc. If they are comparable it would be worth looking into swapping the entire chassis. Parts are cheap and plentiful and lots of performance stuff is available also...
I would consider the Corvette suspension viable though... Even though the Corvette doesn't weigh as much as the Cloud the suspension is designed to handle considerable cornering loads. It may be on the edge but it would work fine in my opinion...
Mark

#3 · (Edited)
I have put a Cloud on a full size mid 80's buick or Olds frame. When you do this you have to use a GM hydroboost for the pb. I use the master cyl & hydroboost from a 85 diesel cad.

You can also sub frame the car. I put a 77 cad seville under my Bently R type. Its the same as a Camaro but has larger ball joints & a 5" wheel bolt pattern & heavier springs.

I currently am just finishing a Shadow on a frame I built using GM front & rear suspension(unit body car). I believe I am the first to do this.

I have pictures of these.

Ps - the small blk chev wts less than the rolls all alum 6.2 to 6.7 litre. The IFS from a Cad is also wts less. I saved 800 lbs on the Shadow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.