independent rear suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2003, 10:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question independent rear suspension

I have a 49 chevy truck and i would like to put an independent rear suspension on it. I was thinking about a jaguar rear end or a c4 corvette rear. Does anyone know what is involved in installing a jag rear into my truckor how difficult it is? I would really appreciate any advise. Thank you!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2003, 06:31 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

A Jag axle isn't to hard to install. Most people take it out of the "cage" that Jag uses and make a crossmember that passes over the differential. That's easy enough to do if you can weld. From there you just need a pair of arms -- I used a pair of four link arms with adjustable ends from Pete-n-Jakes. To see what I mean, go to <a href="http://groups.msn.com/AMCsForever/classicgtwproject.msnw" target="_blank">http://groups.msn.com/AMCsForever/classicgtwproject.msnw</a> and see what I did to put one in my Rambler wagon. The width is misleading if you go by the factory published tread width (from center of tire to center of tire) of 58.6". The hub to hub width is closer to 62" -- the Jag uses a deep set wheel on the rear. Rather than narrow my axle I bought 7" wheels with a 5.5" backset. These are hard to find with the old rear drive Chevy bolt pattern that Jag uses 95 x 4.75" circle)!! The hubs can be redrilled for a 4.5" circle, but the hubs have to be fully disassembled and I'd already rebuilt mine before i discovered they don't make front wheel drive type wheels in the 5 x 4.75" bolt pattern. 5 x 4.5" is still used though. The Jag isn't hard to narrow -- anyone with something to hold everything perfectly straight (especially the driveshafts) and a welder can do it. Go to <a href="http://www.jagoutlet.com" target="_blank">www.jagoutlet.com</a> for rebuild parts. I had to change gears -- most came with a 2.88 gear set in the mid to late 80s. You can use Dana 44 gears, but a special installation kit is required, which brings the price up to a point that you may as well buy Jag gears. 3.31 and 3.54 are common older Jag gear sets. For anything else you have to go with the Dana 44 gears and kit. Someone mentioned cheap overdrive and I remarked that a high gear rear end with an old three speed tranny between original trans and rear would be an effective and cheap means of attaining "overdrive". The three speed trans just uses 2nd and 3rd gears, with 3rd being 1:1. Same effect as using a two speed rear axle. Keep it in 2nd gear until cruising, then shift into 3rd to get the 2.88 rear gear.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:17 PM

Funny, I seem to remember in the 70s and 80s when the Jag rear was the rear of choice the wonderful thing about them was that they used common GM gear sets and GM u-joints. Even the bearings for the hubs were readily available. It's a really good looking rearend even if left in the stock "cage". I figured when they seemed to fade away that the available supply of Jag rears had been depleted....after all, they ain't making anymore E-types, are they?
The wheel pattern on the sedan rears was the same as GM Chevy 5 on 4 3/4 inch circle. The E-types had splined knock off hubs for wire wheels. I believe the sedan bolt-type hubs interchanged to the E-type rears.
I might suggest you look under an XJ-6 sedan from the 70s/80s; it's probably the same basic setup.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:49 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

They faded away because of cost and IRS really isn't necessary. The Jag uses a Dana 44 gear set, NOT GM! The U-joints are common GM parts though, and the wheel pattern (5 x 4.75") is common full size GM. I made some notes in my last post about wheels and tread, read if interested in using a Jag axle! I spent $100 on a decent looking axle in a pick-n-pull yard. One caliper was frozen solid, had to be replaced, the grease fill cap had come off one side and caused bearings to go bad in the outer carrier so I replaced bearings in BOTH outer carriers along with seals, new rotors were needed, and I replaced all seals in the differential as they are known to go bad with time due to heat from the brakes and exhaust, which passes very close to the diff in a stock Jag. I also had to replace the gears. I spent another $800 on the axle and did most of the work myself ($250 was spent on labor to set up the new gears and press off/on the outer hub bearings). you can usually find them in good working condition for around $500, but I'd still replace the seals while the thing was out. The entire axle has to come out and apart to replace the diff seals and brake rotors.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

I am also installing a Jag rear end in my project Pinto. I have been looking for a company that might make a kit with a top mount and lower arms. I am looking for something like a cut fit kit. Is there such an animal or do I have to scratch build everything?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:39 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

jag rear end

California custom roadsters in southern california sells a set of T bucket plans for a jag rear end for $ 5. a real bargain just make the crosmenber wider to fit your project.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:33 AM

Jag IRS

Hi everyone,
I'm new to your site and stumbled onto some IRS questions. CWI inc. has been manufacturing IRS for nearly 25 years, we do tons of Jag rears and can build anything you would like. We also have a 9" Ford IRS and a Speedway quick change. We have been stepping up our advertising and are now in Good Guys mag, Street Rodder, and Drive. We are currently working on some actual bolt in suspensions for the muscle car market and we are also making a billet hub which has outboard brakes and an internal expanding E- brake. We are Wilwood dealers and Aldan Shock dealer and have many kits for Jag. We do complete rebuilds of customer rears or can supply any part from the Jag. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has and you can check out our website ****
Thanks,
Eric

From the MODERATOR ...

Eric ... I understand you are new to our forum and I want to WELCOME YOU ... Your knowledge and help is most welcome but we do not allow advertising, or links to commercial businesses .

Deuce ... Moderator

Last edited by Deuce; 04-16-2007 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.