Indepentent rear end on an F-1 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 09:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Indepentent rear end on an F-1

I would love to have some more advise, or would love to talk to someone that has done this before. I have a F-1 1/2 ton and would like to put and independent rear end under it. I know I would have to beef up the springs, and modify the mounting brackets, but does anyone have any other advise. Is this a good way to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

IRS Help

You didn't mention what you are using for a front end. I guess you are planning to use a IFS. I am in the process of gathering parts for my F1 project. I am using a 1991 T Bird supercoupe 8.8 IRS (Disc Brake). Drops out of the T Bird on one, bolt in cross member. All you need to do is strip the frame and box the rear portion and build the mounts for the cross member.

I am planning on using a Volare front end.(Already have it). Don't want for use M11 because of the engine I plan on. Hope this helps. Next time you see a T Bird or Cougar early 90's drop down and look at the rear suspension.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:56 PM

thanks

As a matter of fact the rear end I am planning on using is from a 96 ford thunderbird. I hope this will be an easy fit. The front end I used a mustang front clip. Worked out really well. Thanks for the e-mail
Old 09-21-2005, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

F1, help

More than glad to be of help. You should study the mounting on the T Bird. and copy same. I would block and level the frame and use the running board brackets as a reference for ride height and stance. I plan on using the rubber mounts that came with the rear end.

Is your rear end Disk brake? Also some of the Birds have a metric bolt pattern. I have also found a 1991 Super Coupe that has 5 on 4 1/2.

What are you planning for an engine?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:14 PM

rear end

Thanks again for the help. The rear end is sitting under the frame now, and looks like a pretty good fit. The dimensions are turning out very well. Were looking and making some mounting brackets, and using the rubber groments to mount the rear end. Looking at it right now the height looks to be perfect, however without the engine in it, the front is sitting high, so its hard to tell for sure. The engine I plan on using is a 4.6 liter, also out of the thunderbird. Only has 40,000 original miles. I think that it will make that truck scream. After the rear end is close, its time to chop the top 2". Thanks for the help again.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

Sounds good. I have a friend with a 52 F1, with a 4.6 with a AOD trans. Really nice swap. I also have a friend that is installing one in his 56, with a 5 speed. If the gas cost ever comes down I plan on using a 6.8 V10.with a 5 speed. It is not hard to put 300 miles on a weekend around here for Rod Runs. but I don't have to tell you about that. What part of Utah are you from?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:27 AM

Irs

Thought I'd join the conversation. I am using a Ford IRS in my project which is a 1950 Studebaker Champion. Power comes by way of BB Cadillac channeled through a 4L80E transmission. Saw that Trowley is in Utah - which is where I am.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.