induction options and ideas for a 392 hemi - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Last journal entry: 46 mercury bobber pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

induction options and ideas for a 392 hemi

my plans was to run a 6/71 blower on my 392 for this year. before i make the purchase i just wanted to weigh my options. i have a single carb as well as a dual carb intake for this engine already. or i could go with a fuel injection set up. the blower set up with carbs will come in over $4k, if i could get a fuel injection set up that worked well for less i would consider it.

any ideas?
greg

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Greg, I've been hard core Pontiac for over 45 years, but I have also had a strong interest in the old hemis. I have a good friend that is rebuilding his '37 Ford, powered by an injected 392, in my garage so I've been browsing for engine parts for him. I find dual quad set-ups frequently, but once in a while I have seen stack injection on places like racingjunk.com, The Hamb or on Hotheads website, in the parts for sale forums. It is my opinion that dual fours will work as good as injection, N/A on gas. With a blower or using alcohol is where FI shines. If you need links to some of the sites that might have injection units, you can either post here, or send me an email, but put something about 392 in the subjest line.

wdcreech@earthlink.net

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	launch.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	26462   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5270003_edited.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	26463   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5270010.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	26464  

Last edited by WDCreech; 12-27-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:08 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u more grill shell mods.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atotalnincompoop
my plans was to run a 6/71 blower on my 392 for this year. before i make the purchase i just wanted to weigh my options. i have a single carb as well as a dual carb intake for this engine already. or i could go with a fuel injection set up. the blower set up with carbs will come in over $4k, if i could get a fuel injection set up that worked well for less i would consider it.

any ideas?
greg
Hilborn has an electronic 4 hole injector for about $5000.00 I'm saving my money my.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:42 AM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Is this a motor that you are currently building, or is it a running motor? What is the compression ratio? Usually, for a blown application you don't want to go far above a ratio of 8:1. Any more than that and you will have to start dialing back the boost. Withe the boost all in, your effective compression ratio should not be more than around 12:1 if you are using premium pump gas. On the other hand, if you have a 7.5:1 motor and want to normally aspirate it with a couple of 4 bbl carbs, you'll be way down on power to say the least..
My point is that your choice of induction system may already be narrowed down for you based upon how the engine was built. How about cam specs, type of pistons, head work, etc?
There are plenty of very knowledgeable Hemi and blower guys here, and with a few more details, we could better come up with some suggestions.
Hope this helps,
Steve
Old 12-28-2007, 06:10 AM

Last photo:

the engine is torn down at the moment, waiting for me to decide which way to go with it. the pistons are 9 to 1 right now, at the limit for supercharging i know. i just want a mild to moderate powered engine so i believe that 9 to 1 would work with both a low boost blower set up or a carb or efi set up.
thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 06:13 AM

Last photo:

i will buy a cam once i have decided on my induction, the heads will get the work they need at that point too. like i said before, i just want a streetable mild to moderate set up. nothing too hairy

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.