Hot Rod Forum banner

Industreal oven

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  twor4 
#1 ·
:thumbup: hello my name is Juan and I'm new to Windsor Ontario,I have been an Industrial painter/powder coat and sandblaster for the past 6 years,since I've moved to this town I havent been able to find any work In my related field,,,so I have decided to start my own business,,money is tight and that's why i want to build my own oven,,Is there anyone that can give me some tips on how to put one together,,,I will be usin the oven for powder coating chassis,rims and bike frames,,,,thanx

#3 ·
welcome....One of my neighbors built one...It was from a large industrial cooking oven from some food processing/packing plant, I believe

Moving this to the tools/garage section.....guess thats where it fits best

#4 ·
I will share how I did it. This is not to say it is the best way for anyone but it is working well for me.

I have been doing a lot for powdercoating in a ceramic kiln. I like kilns for several reasons. Ceramics has been dying over the last couple years because it is a labor intensive industry. The cost of labor has been tanking the industry. Second, a lot of the hobbyist or hobby businesses which are still around have upgraded to automated kilns which mean

You can pick up a nice non-automated kiln for $1-300.

Kilns also hold heat and recover nearly instantaneously form lid openings since they are a bit overkill for powder coating.

Kiln can get up to temp in short order;

Kiln you can easily do ceramic or other coatings which require higher temps. Mine is programed to go to 2100 degrees.

Hanging things then top loading is easier then trying to lay things on cookie sheets sideways.

I used a programmable circuit and an OOPIC to control mine but they are no longer around. The Arduino would work for this:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2121105_-1

You would also need a type K thermal couple, solid state relay, Ad595 chip, small LCD. You may not be into this sort of thing but there are other types of temp controllers which you can wire a type K thermal couple directly into. I picked up a couple at a local online auction for $50. You can keep an eye out for industry auctions. So many companies going out of business right now the industrial auctions are going crazy. Except for large equipment such as injection molding machines going over seas, much is going cheap; often scrap prices.

I set up an control sequence to enter:
-fast rise/slow rise (temp climb speed)
-peak temp (for flow out)
-hold temp (for cure)
-peak time
-hold time

Hot keys to
-move to beginning of previous or next sequence (or to repeat)
-simply to start an programmed sequence to skip the individual entry which is set up for most things I powdercoat.

I spray in a 55g drum. I get some over spray and would like to cut the drum in half and make a small booth type setting with a small vac in the bottom to pull down the dust.

Sequence: When I powder coat, here is how simple it is.
-sandblast part, blow off and hang.
-Push the automated button, confirm start..kiln begins heat cycle
-spray part in drum
-when the temp reach peak it begins the hold sequence
-I drop the part in and restart the hold sequence which is set at a predetermined time.

The kiln holds for x minutes, then holds at cure temp for x minutes then it's done!

Here are some photos.

This isn't just for car parts. It is so simple, anything which needs coated is promptly blasted and coated. Right now I am rebuilding an old fork truck. It is as easy for me to just de-grease parts, blast them and coat them. I don't have to wait a day or two for paint to dry, I don't have to get the temp up in the building to work with paint, paint type over spray, etc.

#7 ·
I know you asked about industrial oven, not household oven which obviously is often used, ...what have you come up with otherwise?

I know the PC I drop of larger parts has a furnace driven oven. I just made some parts for a friend making a cooker using the burners out of a furnace. I know my the PC's oven is large enough to drive a car in and he just has the outside lined with insulation. I would think yu could make something mid sized with bricks.

#10 ·
hp246 said:
If you do a google search, you will find many plans and for homemade powder coat overs of all sizes. Just about all of them use elements from standard ovens, they can be found for free. You can buy the insulation, oven wool at many building supplies. Its pretty cheap. Here is one pretty good link: http://www.powdercoatoven.4t.com/
I like that build! I would love to build one bigger but just frankly too spread out. Anything larger I need to pay to have it done.

#12 ·
Setting up a Powder Coating Operation

Juan,

I don't know how much you know about the 'business' of running a powder coating operation but there are a lot of 'moving parts' to it and running an efficient operation goes well beyond the equipment you have.

If you would like some guidance on the critical aspects of running your business that will help assure your success, give me a call - the advice is free and I will not try to sell you a single thing; just want you to have the best chance to succeed.

Wayne Brandon
Martin Powder Coating
Perry, Michigan
517-625-4220

#13 ·
Lined blocks

I wanted to use cement block lined with more brick inside.Also get sheet metal liner and exterior from scrap yard,may even have a large metal locker or a few smaller ones to reconfigure the oven wool between block and inner material.The oven elements to heat a metal plate(heat sink).That is if you find the room to do it this way.If not on your power bill you can get a portable meter and keep it going. Ps Can use blocks to raise or lower heat source and take up space for smaller parts. Keep blocks running along ground and not up.Use re-bar where you can.PS i don't have the space just yet.But may have soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.