Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - inexpensive filter/dryer
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
That's brilliant, I think!
Add just ONE more tee onto the bottom of that, a fair length of vertical tube and a ball valve to the bottom of that ... and I think we have a winner.

The diagram you have in that post is an example of what I am talking about, there would be little or no water drain into that first drop before the filter while the air was moving and very little while the air was static. The only reason for the water to flow into the drain pipe (drop) would of course be gravity but inertia would easily overcome the gravity while the air is flowing and when static the water would be distributed throughout the system and would have no reason to collect at the trap. The bottom pipe could be tilted so that it lay at an angle and some water would tend to drain into the trap while there was no air flow but when the air starts moving the water will, for the most part, simply pass over the drain. The bottom line is the system must be arranged vertically to work as good as it does, it is much more than just a way to squeeze a long line into a small area.