info on air compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 07:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

info on air compressor

Just wanted to say hi before I post my first question here. I just found this site about 2 weeks ago and am restoring a 68 rs camaro.

Anyone know where I can find information on a snap-on air compressor model AC580V. All I know is that it is a 2-stage, 220V and it is about 10 years old. I am looking at buying this used, and I want to make sure it will do what I need it to do. Which is run DA sander, die grinders, HVLP paint gun, etc etc. The guy selling it believes it is a great deal and I am leaning towards believing him. The other compressors I have been looking at is one of the IR ones(new) the 2340N5 which is a 5HP 80-gal vert which creates 14.7 CFM @ 175 PSI.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 09:05 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I don't know what the price for the compressor is, or how much use it has had over the years as well as upkeep, but I just bought a new a/c 3 weeks ago and there price is not really bad. For paint work/bodywork, I think it is a necessity to have a 2 stage compressor hands down. I have done bodywork with a single stage and it just works them to death. I bought one from Home Depot 80 gallon tank 2 stage cast oron head 220 V etc... for $927 out the door. It is 7 horse continuous and 4 horse otherwise I think. Anyways I wish I could have bought the one for $1700.... For home use with an occasional job, I think it will do fine.... if I had a small body shop I ran all the time, I would want a larger HP motor etc... Hope this helps a little

Make sure you get one with a cast iron head and not one with cast iron sleeves... they do not last as long... dont believe the hype on that one. Cast Iron all the way

BK
Old 04-28-2005, 08:59 AM

Hey thanks for the info BondoKing. Yeah it is for home use and I'm not sure on the abuse it has seen in last 10 years. But the guy did say it was all cast iron.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:37 PM

So I contacted Snap-on and they said I should contact the manufacturer ... gotta love that. But the manufacturer is Dee-Blast, I guess they build snad-blasting cabinets, and it doesn't appear they sell just air compressors. Needless to say I have an email out to them.
But it doesn't make me feel good that if I do need support on this a/c I won't be getting any help from snap-on.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:12 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I tell you RS I would just buy one from your local store that carries such, or purchase it from the net depending on shipping cost.My wife knows of a place up in Indiana that sells compressors at super low cost, maybe one was sent to a store missing parts or had a broke valve, they buy them fix them and sell them for several hundred dollars less with a warranty of some sort. I will get the web address from her if you want it. I looked into it, but at the time they did not have a large enough one for me.

I forgot to mention that you want it belt driven not direct shaft too. Really 5 horse should be the min if you want to do serious paint work, and I would run synthetic oil ( Mobil 1 ), not compressor oil if you are going to have high cycle time of the compressor ( meaning making it run all the time ).

BK
Old 04-29-2005, 08:30 AM

That website would be great to have BondoKing. Yeah, I have decided on not buying that a/c. Better to pay a little extra and be sure I get want I want/need, plus I know where to get support for it if needed.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:39 PM

Cheap compressors in Indiana?

Just wondering where this place is since I live in Indiana. Thanks for the update.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.