INFO on battery in trunk on G-body - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 11:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

INFO on battery in trunk on G-body

hi i have a 1978 monte carlo and i got rid of the inner fender wells and now i want to put my battery in the trunk whats all involved in moving the battery to the trunk...???

i ran the positive battery cable from the starter to the trunk what else is needed to do to make the car start...?? do i have to run a ground cable from the motor to the battery too?? or can i just run the ground from the battery to the frame threw the trunk floor?? and also the ground strap from the head of the motor goes to the firewall of the body right?? thanks again

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 11:42 PM

Last photo:

Yes just ground the batt to the frame then run another from the engine to the frame. I use the fuel pump rod bolt hole on the right front of the block on a SBC, you have to put a bolt there anyway and the cable is out o the way and near the frame. I would use a good sized cable at least a 0 gauge and solder/crimp the ends on and you should not have any problems.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H
I use the fuel pump rod bolt hole on the right front of the block on a SBC, you have to put a bolt there anyway
I like to put a battery disconnect switch in the trunk also..

Be careful not to put a bolt to long...

I know you know this Mike..
Old 09-26-2009, 12:08 PM
It's a dry cold.

Last photo:

When you attach your ground cable to the frame, it's a good idea to use a bolt that is threaded directly into the frame instead of a thru-bolt.

Just my $.02
Old 09-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

thanks very helpful now time to go to work thanks again
Old 09-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Last photo:

The safe and preferred way to relocate a battery to the trunk is to use a quality (not Auto Zone) Ford type starter solenoid and locate it near the battery. That way the large positive battery cable is hot only when cranking the engine. The other way leaves an always hot large diameter cable running from the rear of the car to the starter.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 09-26-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

hummm thats a good idea thanks i think ima do that!!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

There have been many threads on starting problems involving vehicles that have the battery relocated to the trunk. 99.999999% were caused by using the frame/unibody as the ground for the battery. 99.999999% of the time, the solutions to these problems have been running the ground from the battery to one of the starter mounting bolts. Go back and review some of Doc Vette's (may he RIP) and you will get the full story. Using the solenoid in the trunk is a great ideal, but if I were doing this, I would get the heaviest duty one I could find since the extra cable length does increase the load on it.

Another point to consider is the guage of the wire from the alternator as well as the output of the alternator. Both of my street rods and all that I build with a relocated battery have a higher out put alternator and at least a 10 guage wire to handle the increased load generated by the increased length of the charging circuit. A battery in the trunk will receive approximately 1.5 less volts charge vice a battery located in the engine compartment if you use the same alternator and wiring guage.

Trees

Last edited by trees; 09-27-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Last photo:

All good tips Trees . That is one of the reasons I advise against the use of a cheap Auto Zone solenoid. I am also a firm believer in not using the frame for a single source ground for a rear mounted battery system.

Vince
Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

do i also have to have a red wire coming from the battery to the alt.??? thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Last photo:

A sufficiently sized red wire will come from the alternator to a junction block on the firewall. Off that junction block will also come a red wire to the positive battery post. The feed to your fuse panel will also come from that junction block.

Vince
Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Or you can run the 10 ga red wire from the alt to the bat terminal on the starter and another red wire, 12-14 ga, from the bat terminal to the junction block. I also use a ground wire from the alt to the block, especially if you have an aluminum mounting bracket. They tend to corrode and corrosion is a big inhibitor to current flow!!

Trees
Old 09-27-2009, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

ok that totally got me confused i have my main battery wire running to the starter post and i have 3 red 10ga. wires coming out of the main harness and for the alt. i have a 2 prong plug with a 10ga. red wire connecting to the positive post on the back side of the alt. and and a small thin tan wire running to the main harness from that same 2 prong plug please help thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

You should be good to go. Electrical current follows the leads (Pun intended). I personally like the Alt out put to go to the Bat lead and then to the other "users", making sure the battery is satisfied first. The other red leads from the starter/bat lead then can feed all the electrical requirements. Presently from your description, you are routing alt output to a junction block and then distributing to the starter/bat lead and the rest of the car. Both of my rods have batteries in the trunk/under the seat and both have EFI. The EFI is voltage sensitive and I monitor the system voltage independently of the voltage output of the alternator. The batteries are receiving 13.6 volts charge from the alternator (considering the 1.5 voltage drop from the long lead) and the EFI and rest of the car is receiving 13.6 volts at the distribution block. If I were reversed, the battery would be receiving only about 12.1 volts charge which will not be enough over the long haul when the A/C, head lights and electric fan are pulling.

Trees

Trees
Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Last photo:

Take a look at this link, perhaps it will make more sense. Or this diagram

It has some additional items like relays for headlamps and such, but the general wiring diagram should be of help. I like having a central point to measure voltage like the junction block. This also facilitates better electrical feedback for a dash mounted volt meter, rather than having to use the wiring harness.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 09-28-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.