Info on engine swap req'd - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Info on engine swap req'd

Hey Gang...

I just bought a really nice 1941 Plymouth 2D Coupe. It has the original 201.3ci flathead 6, and 3-on-the-tree manual. I have some questions that maybe some of you guys can answer...

1. I want to Hot Rod this gem. I am thinking that a 318 or 360 would be just right for it. Is there an available motor mount conversion kit for this conversion, or do I need to just get a set of correct V8 mounts and weld them on (...after figuring geometry and stuff...)?

2. For anyone who has done such a conversion, are there clearance isses with regards to headers, steering box/components, frame rails, etc?

3. I would like to use the 3 speed trans that's in the car...soooo...a.) Can the tranny take the added power of a V8 (provided that I am not beating on it)? b.) Is there a bell housing available that will allow me to bolt this trans to the V8? BTW, can anyone advise which tranny this car would have? c.) If the original tranny is not recommended, what other trannys would you recommend (prefer manual over auto) that wouldn't require much body/floorboard/frame modifications?

4. The stock rear axle and suspension look pretty beefy. Will these parts require any modifcation for the swap? Keeping in mind that I am NOT looking to build a stop light bandit or race car...just a nice cruising car with a lumpy cam and mean exhaust tone.

5. Any other issues or tips would be greatly appreciated!

I think that's it for now. I look forward to hearing some ideas.

Thanks!!

Ty

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

When it comes to motor mounts you'll probably have to do some fabrication. The stuff on THIS site should be helpful.
If you upgrade the front suspension and steering chances are a 318 or 360 will not create significant interference especially if you use block hugger headers.

DO NOT attempt to use the stock trans or rear end. They were made to handle 100 hp and they're 60 years old. They will simply not handle the torque of a modern V8 and be reliable. There are plenty of standard and automatic trans that will work with the "A" block V8's and there are also a gazillion rear ends to choose from. Don't do a half way job. If you're going to put a V8 in there then upgrade the rest of the drive train, suspension and BRAKES.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:01 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

The trans I would use is the 4 speed older Mopar that uses the muscle car type trans but has OD in 4th. They should be easy to find from mid 70s up.

I'd never try to use the old trans, plus having to deal with making an adapter would be crazy money & time.

Scrap the rear. There are tons of cheap rears around and you can find online measurement charts to find the right width....after you choose a wheel style & offset. Lots of beginners don't understand that you need to plan the rear width AFTER picking wheels.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:24 PM

41 coupe

Wow! You have brought back some great memories. My very first car was a grey 41 coupe that my Dad had bought for a cousin of mine who was living with us at the time. He said no thanks so at the ripe old age of 14 I got my first car. A friend and I rebuilt the six at his fathers machine shop in downtown L A and the only chrome was a brand new air cleaner on my carb.I dropped the front end three inches and my Dad and I recovered the inside door panels with grey naughahide [sp] . I was driving at 15 illegally and got my licence at 15 1/2 and drove the heck out of my car. Lions to Ontario and San fernando to bakersfield now thoes were the days. So thank you very much . Pops.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 PM

Last photo:

Here's a few sites of rearend widths for a donor rear.
http://carnut.com/specs/rear.html

http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Suspension_Widths.html
Old 10-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Follow the advice given here about the rear. I popped a tooth off the spider gear with the stock 6-banger flathead in my '47 Dodge.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

Choose your rear

mock it up with the wheels you are going to use and

cut it to fit... (housing ends and axles) while rebuilding it.

seems every time I have tried to get one that fit I had to do stepts 1-3 anyway..
Old 10-31-2008, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

Wow...thanks for all the tips. I currently have a line in a 273ci and 4 speed manual trans. Should work well. What about front end issues? Will I need to relocate the steering box and make any other front end mods? Keeping in mind that I want to keep the car as stock looking as possible.

Thanks...your help is greatly appreciated!

Ty
Old 10-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyroma
Wow...thanks for all the tips. I currently have a line in a 273ci and 4 speed manual trans. Should work well. What about front end issues? Will I need to relocate the steering box and make any other front end mods? Keeping in mind that I want to keep the car as stock looking as possible.

Thanks...your help is greatly appreciated!

Ty
Use the radiator, shroud, fan and all other cooling parts from the 273 donor. No room? MAKE ROOM.

The motor/trans can be moved toward the passenger side of the car as far as you want to to miss the steering box. Just keep the centerline of the crank perpendicular to the centerline of the rear axle.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

You should give serious thought to upgrading the front brakes to discs. There are kits available to do that with these cars. The stock brakes were notoriously poor. Discs would be much safer.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

Hey gang...

Thanks again for all the info. I DID get the rebuilt 273, 4 barrel intake with Carter AFB, A833 4 speed and lots of other bits from a guy I know. I just need a clutch and flywheel, bell housing, rad and the usual little bits and pieces.

I am going to follow your advice and swap the axle too. I was going to just leave it, and "go easy on it" when driving, but I figured if it breaks next summer when I want to drive the car, then it's out of commission. Soooo...I'll just do the swap when I have the car apart anyways.

Other plans for the car include a set of chrome Smoothie wheels and wide white wall RADIAL tires in a 7 or 8" width. Give the car a nice stance.

I'll get some pics posted when I can...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.