Information/suggestions needed for completion TBI 350 conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Mean Green Operator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Information/suggestions needed for completion TBI 350 conversion

hey gang --

need a little input from you 350 jedi masters.

I recently completed a carb to TBI conversion on my SBC 350. I used a stock TBI unit and the OEM harness which I went through and used which parts I need. There are a few things I've heard of which i have a couple questions and suggestive needs answered.

1.) Knock sensor. I have headers off my block, and the two usual places in the water jacket on the side of the block where it would go...it won't fit with the sensor and wire. Is there any other option for this? is it necessary? I hear that some new "chips" or programs for the stock computer eliminate the need for a knock sensor? changing the entirety of my exhaust system would be...well, inconvenient to say the least.

2.) computer. I have the stock computer with the computer # 1227747, which is I believe the most adaptable, or what more options are made for. is it important to change to an aftermarket program or chip? suggestions for such if thats true? do these typically negate the need for a knock sensor?

I understand the purpose of a knock sensor, and would like to include it if I could, but having to change the entirety of my exhaust system to meet that isn't a fun prospect.

thanks for the input and suggestions. I'm trying to finish up a great project by tying up the last few unknowns and undone's in a quality way.

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Mean Green Operator

Last photo:

ttt. any suggestions or answers?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Moving this to the Modern Electronics subforum, you might get better response there.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman111
hey gang --

need a little input from you 350 jedi masters.

I recently completed a carb to TBI conversion on my SBC 350. I used a stock TBI unit and the OEM harness which I went through and used which parts I need. There are a few things I've heard of which i have a couple questions and suggestive needs answered.

1.) Knock sensor. I have headers off my block, and the two usual places in the water jacket on the side of the block where it would go...it won't fit with the sensor and wire. Is there any other option for this? is it necessary? I hear that some new "chips" or programs for the stock computer eliminate the need for a knock sensor? changing the entirety of my exhaust system would be...well, inconvenient to say the least.

2.) computer. I have the stock computer with the computer # 1227747, which is I believe the most adaptable, or what more options are made for. is it important to change to an aftermarket program or chip? suggestions for such if thats true? do these typically negate the need for a knock sensor?

I understand the purpose of a knock sensor, and would like to include it if I could, but having to change the entirety of my exhaust system to meet that isn't a fun prospect.

thanks for the input and suggestions. I'm trying to finish up a great project by tying up the last few unknowns and undone's in a quality way.

Mike
Here you go! www.thirdengen.org moates.net and www.dynamicefi.com
Old 01-13-2012, 03:17 PM

I read an article sometime back where the fellow screwed an iron srteet elbow into the block to get the knock sensor away from his headers. Maybe something like that might work.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Mean Green Operator

Last photo:

thanks for that...first website didn't load...i'm assuming there may be a typo there somewhere on the "thirdengen" somewhere?

I've been looking through the other two, but still have yet to find explanations as to what the programs accomplish vs. the stock program.

My primary uses/goals/desires are just to have a well running reliable setup for multitude of altitudes and such. power isn't really a ginormous issue as this 350 is in my jeep...i've always had more than enough power...it's just been an altitude/angle issue i've had with my carb as I go jeepin and visit places like i do every year in Moab, UT where i can be at 2,000ft and several hours later, be almost to 10,000ft....or sitting at extreme angles for any extended period of time.

performance, yes, but reliability more....along with the peripheral issue of dealing with a knock sensor and nowhere to put it...
Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Mean Green Operator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paparay
I read an article sometime back where the fellow screwed an iron srteet elbow into the block to get the knock sensor away from his headers. Maybe something like that might work.
Thats not a bad idea....!! Like a solid iron 90*?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

[QUOTE=fireman111]thanks for that...first website didn't load...i'm assuming there may be a typo there somewhere on the "thirdengen" somewhere?

Ok messed that one up! www.thirdgen.org www.moates.net

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.