Ingersoll Rand 231G (1/2" impact) Any Good? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 10:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ingersoll Rand 231G (1/2" impact) Any Good?

I see where I can get one of these IR231G models for less then $75, but I really can not find any reviews or history of this product. I assume it is the low end that IR makes, but is it better than say HF's good impact. Anyone own one of these "G" models. I make a few 231's, but with different letters after the 231, so a am guessing these letters mean something.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

What I find with those guns is that its to heavy in the front, in other words its not well balanced.

I'm using the following IR 2132G, much nicer overall

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...32G&lpage=none
Old 06-25-2007, 02:13 PM

I called IR and they said that most of their Impacts require 22cfm under load. My compressor will not do this, so I am guessing that I would get a fraction of the ft.lbs. of Torque based on how many cfm's my compressor could produce. Given this fact, I do not see any reason to purchase this and should most likely just get a real cheap one with a lower Torque rating.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

Ingersol

I have not used that model but my 231c that is ten years old, used daily and when the new punk techs I hire with thier brand new $400 Snap on or Mack cannot loosen a bolt, then I show them what an Ingersol is made of. A heavy duty truck tech friend of mine showed me what an Ingersol is made of. I think this 231c model is $90.00 at Northern Tools. Mine was already two years old when I bought it from a Toyota tech friend who was getting out of the business. Yes is front heavy but it has out lasted three CPs (one new and two used) that I bought in the previous fifteen years. It will run on a small compressor I have used mine with a friends Porter Cable pancake nail gun compressor. One bolt at a time, long time before tank refilled. There are very few bolts on most cars that require more than 100 ftlbs of torque to properly tighten.

Last edited by perrib; 06-25-2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: missing text
Old 06-25-2007, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

I had a Mohawk 1/2" impact that would barely get wheel nuts off, so I went and bought an I-R 231. Ain't even a race.

The only time it ever failed was on a lug nut that took my 270# arse, a friend's 170# arse, and a 4' cheater pipe, all working in harmony, to get off, and when it finally broke loose, it knocked me on my aforementioned arse. The tire place said it got that tight by being rained on.

I've used it with an old Freon tank converted to an air tank, and even with that skinny little hose, it will knock loose a few lug nuts that are too tight to bust loose by hand.

I highly recommend the 231.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiowaterdog
I called IR and they said that most of their Impacts require 22cfm under load. My compressor will not do this, so I am guessing that I would get a fraction of the ft.lbs. of Torque based on how many cfm's my compressor could produce. Given this fact, I do not see any reason to purchase this and should most likely just get a real cheap one with a lower Torque rating.
I love to hear that people swear by Ingersoll Rand impacts...but then, I work where they are made. On behalf of everyone here, thanks for the glowing comments and I hope the impacts serve you forever. We do take pride in the stuff we make and I for one get all warm and fuzzy when I hear that people love it.

Ohio- none of our impacts (even the larger consumer sizes) should require 22cfm. The 2135-series is listed at 5cfm; I think our largest consumer 1" version is around 15cfm.

As to the 231G...it IS the low end model (the reason for which is the same as why the CP/CH/etc models are generally inexpensive) and is probably ok for light or general use. I don't want to violate any forum rules by overdoing self-promotion, so I'll stop there.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I have an old IR 231 of some kind, it works great. I can't tell which exact model it is anymore, as I had a helper take it apart for a rebuild and he used a punch on the back of the case to drive the motor out and broke out the center.. I had to take the label off to weld the case.

But it still works great.

I'm sold on pretty much anything pneumatic that IR makes. I have some of their angle grinders and a die grinder that I bought in 1989 that still works.

IRguy- good post. Welcome to the board There are many members here who post info about the products their company makes, they are all welcome as long as they are not here for the purpose of self promotion.

If you haven't done so already, check out the business affiliation page, that details the forum rules as they apply to folks like us who are in the business.
http://www.hotrodders.com/help/board/business.html
(it sounds like you read them already )
Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 06-26-2007, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiowaterdog
I My compressor will not do this, so I am guessing that I would get a fraction of the ft.lbs. of Torque based on how many cfm's my compressor could produce.

That impact would still work just fine with your compressor even at 22 CFM, just not for long periods at a time. The torque will be as stated and will not be reduced until the tank pressure drops below the regulated pressure, you
are getting the pump CFM confused with the compressor delivery CFM which can be as much as the air lines will carry BUT only until the pressure falls. With an impact wrench this usually is not much of a problem because it most times will be used only seconds at a time and then will be idle giving the compressor time to recover. That IR thunder Gun, for example, is an excellent impact and will work great on your compressor so if you are willing to spend the money on it DON'T settle for a cheapie that will not work nearly as good.

Last edited by oldred; 06-26-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRguy
I love to hear that people swear by Ingersoll Rand impacts...but then, I work where they are made. On behalf of everyone here, thanks for the glowing comments and I hope the impacts serve you forever. We do take pride in the stuff we make and I for one get all warm and fuzzy when I hear that people love it.

Ohio- none of our impacts (even the larger consumer sizes) should require 22cfm. The 2135-series is listed at 5cfm; I think our largest consumer 1" version is around 15cfm.

As to the 231G...it IS the low end model (the reason for which is the same as why the CP/CH/etc models are generally inexpensive) and is probably ok for light or general use. I don't want to violate any forum rules by overdoing self-promotion, so I'll stop there.

IR, you may work for Ingersoll but I have flow tested hundreds of impact wrenches over the years and never have I seen a 1/2" impact that would use as little as 5 CFM and 22 CFM on that Thunder Gun would not suprise me at all, although I have never flowed that particular model. A 1" drive that uses only 15 CFM - twice that is more likely and in the real world 40 CFM for a good 1" drive is not all that bad. Anyone who has used a 1" drive impact knows how fast they can suck an 80 gal tank dry even with a 15-20 CFM pump running and that will not happen at 15 CFM. Air tools are much like (a lot of anyway) compressors in that the stated ratings and the real world CFM are two entirely different things.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 AM

I went to lowes and checked out the 231G impact with a price of $109. My guess is that it is the 231 with a lowes # (purchased in high volume) getting the price down a few dollars and keeping their dealers happy. Lowes does not carry the 231C but in checking elsewhere, they look identical.
Anyway, I purchased the 231g from fleebay @ $50 delivered. For the use I will give it, I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 10:57 AM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I don't understand impact wrench ratings.
I bought a sears that was rated at like 250 ft/lbs and it could not take off the lug nuts torqued to 85 ftlbs ( verified with a torque wrench )

I took it back and bought an IR rated to like 400ft/lbs and it's better, much better, but I doubt it's 400...

The argument with the Sears tool guy was funny as he was trying to blame my compresor for being too small, even though it didn't even come on.

Also like said in another thread, 3/8" fittings do help!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

They would not be overly optimistic about those ratings now would they? Impact ratings can be a bit confusing because no matter how they arrive at the numbers the fact is an impact wrench is just that an IMPACT tool just like a hammer. Instead of a nice smooth even pull like with a torque wrench (no jerking on the thing or the reading goes to you know where!) it literally beats a fastener loose. The size of the fastener and the weight of the socket, in other words mass, has a tremendous influence on an impact wrench's performance and the more mass (weight) it has to deal with the less force it will have on a fastener no matter what the rating.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:18 PM

CFM usage will vary, especially under load. I quoted the website, but I'll check around and see what engineering says.

There are some differences to the 231G/231C models; the most obvious being the forward/reverse method, and some minor interior parts difference.

The tools are tested to the spec you find on the box. The test is done under near perfect conditions- the 'bolt' is turned on a brake to the required force. However, real-world is a bit different. That said- 427v8, that kind of lack of performance says something is wrong, and first thing wrong is almost always the volume and pressure of the air supply. The torque you tighten to isn't the same torque required to break the bolt free, but 85 ftlbs for a standard fitting should only take a second.

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:23 PM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

This wasn't an IR wrench that couldn't undo the lug nuts!
And I verified the removal torque with a bending beam wrench, definitly less than 90 ft/lbs.

I do have a nice IR now that works just fine. Takes the lug nuts and axle nuts off of the motorhome just fine, and they are torqued to 120 ft/lbs.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 PM

oldred- you are quite right. Free speed CFM of 1/2" impact is in the 17-22 CFM range. This is a reflection of how much volume of air can move unrestricted at pressure through the tool. About minimum air usage for full output under load is 8-15 CFM depending on which tool.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.