Initial Start on a New Build Engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Initial Start on a New Build Engine

I've built a number of pushrod V8 engines over the years. I always pack the oil pump with vaseline, liberally coat the cam with breakin lube, fill the lifters with oil, and pre-lube the engine with the distributor out. I then start the engine and run it at 2000-2500 RPM for ~20 minutes to break in the cam. I've never had a problem with this process.

My question is how to do this inital start and breakin on a newer design engine. Many newer motors have crank-driven gearrotor oil pumps, which makes it impossible to pre-lube without turning the crank. I still pack the pump with vaseline to speed up the buildup of oil pressure, but is there some other technique (short of using an accumulator or other pre-luber) to externally pressurize the oil system.

Also, what is the preferred method for breaking in an overhead cam engine? I was always under the impression that the 2000 RPM for 20 minutes rule of thumb was designed to allow the crank throws to splash the cam with oil. Obviously this doesn't apply to an OHC configuration.

I recently rebuilt an OHC 4 cylinder motor and spun a rod bearing after 50 miles or so, which is why I'm asking. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2007, 04:44 PM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well the reason to run the engine at 2000 to 3000 RPM is to break in the cam shaft. you don't want the cam shaft slowly truning past the lifters, it can wipe a cam lobe. As far as the OHC engine prelube you will either need to use an accumulator pressure lube or do like I do. I do the Vaseline like you said and I use lots of white lithium grease and make a 50 /50 mix of either lucas and 40wt engine oil or stp and 40 wt engine oil. use it where ever you have metal touching metal. I haven't ever had any problem using this method.I have never found it necessary to run the engine rpm 2000 rpm for the OHC.Brian
Old 02-25-2007, 05:17 PM
GM Tech

Last photo:

Personally, I despise white lithium grease- it's not oil soluble and can plug your oil filter! I highly recommend engine assembly lube like Clevite 77 bearing guard. It's extremely sticky and doesn't wipe off the bearings easily when rotating an engine during assembly or when starting, but it is oil soluble so it disolves in the oil and won't get stuck in the filter. I also must stress the importance of changing the oil and filter after the cam break in period, or an equal amount of run time on an engine that does not need cam break in. This is especially important if you use white lithium grease! It's amazing how many people will spend thousands on an engine rebuild and not be willing to spend an extra $15-$20 on an oil change right away!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

I would also recommend Royal Purple Max Tuff or Childs and Albert as well as the previously stated clevite. Whichever you can get your hands on. They are all gel like and stay on the part you apply it to.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:52 PM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

While I do agree that it can plug the oil filter.......I have used the stuff for a long time, I just tend to stay with some of the old time methods whether they are right or wrong by todays standards. I haven't had any problems mainly because I agree with you about the oil change. It does totally baffle me that people will build an engine then not change the oil for 3000 miles. I change the oil after the cam break in, then again after about the first 500 miles. It's cheap insurance. I personally like to change the oil more often in a hot rod engine, the valve spring pressures are generally higher comp ratios higher and typically run a little harder. And I'm not a fan of the synthetics either, yes I know the advantages and disadvantages.I don't want to start that whole debate so any synthetic fans that read this please don't freak out and try to sway me. LOL. If YOU like it USE IT,I can't justify the cost and don't believe in extended oil changes with the use of it.Please don't read any harsh tone into this post I promise that I am not being a jackA**. I am easy going and just expressing my opinion and don't want anybody to take offense at anything I've said . Seeya Brian

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.