Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggevaert View Post
Also, keep in mind that I have not been able to take the truck for a drive as I have no windshield in it yet (and its 20 below out here) so my only load testing has been with my foot on the brake and with a chock block on the wheels.

Vacuum can is the stock MSD one, it has a vacuum advance stop plate installed and set to 13 degrees; with the vacuum hooked up, at idle my timing was 30 (so +6 from initial) and at all in (3000 rpm) it ran at 42. Keep in mind that was at idle and not under load.

Mine is a GM HEI so the article you note is very relevant and, yes, I did read it thorougly.

I do plan on adjusting the idle mixture screws; that is the plan this weekend; I just wanted to get timing done before going there. (but I do understand it sometimes is not a linear exercise; you think everything is set, take it for a drive and end up re-adjusting everything ) but that's the fun part.

Cheers
Good deal. My only comment at this stage is that you cannot judge detonation (or the lack of it) w/o driving the vehicle. You can't duplicate the same load it'll see on the road using the brakes, unfortunately. What you'll want to do is go back to ~18 degrees initial and test it on the road after it's roadworthy. Then readjust from there. If you choose to leave it as-is, just be uber cautious and listen carefully for detonation.