Initial timing related to dieseling? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think I would start with a blowby test just to get that out of the way first . That would be the easiest thing to check, just in case .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
I think I would start with a blowby test just to get that out of the way first . That would be the easiest thing to check, just in case .
How would I perform a blowby test? compression gauge?

The spark plugs are NGK BR6FS with non-projected tip. I switched from projected to non-projected after noticing some funny burn marks on the insulators.

EDIT: Oh yea, and those plugs have less than 2000 miles on them. I pulled them out in the morning after the car sat overnight.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

Okay, I'm guessing my next step is to pull the heads and intake? Take the valves out and brush all the carbon off the tops?

Just to make sure it's intake leak, if I were to put a vac gauge on my valve cover and plug the pcv, how much vacuum should be in the crank case? What about with the engine revving around 2500?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Last photo:

Ok now I have no idea.

I went out and did a little test. I have a pcv on one valve cover, and a breathr on the other.

- First I plugged the PCV hose, pulled the breather, and put duct tape over both holes in the valve covers. At idle and at part throttle, both buldge out like there is air trying to blow the tape off.

- Second, I put the pcv valve back in the valve cover and left the tape on the other valve cover. It sucked in, trying to pull the tape in the hole.

If I were to have an internal vacuum leak, wouldn't it have been trying to pull the tape into the holes to begin with?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:35 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Okay we know that the pcv is working as it should. And you are probably right about the vacuum leak test . As for the blow by test. If you have a compression gauge with a hose , you can take the spark plug hose adapter off of the hose and hook up shop air to it . You will have to back off the rocker arms first . When you apply full shop air pressure the engine will spin a little to get the piston that you are checking to the bottom of the bore , so keep your hands clear of the fan , etc. If you have piston ring blowby , you will definitely hear it from the crankcase breather . If you have a valve problem you will hear it in the intake or exhaust depending on which it is. Check each cylinder . I would definitely do this before pulling any cylinder heads so that I would know how deep the problem is .
Old 10-23-2010, 12:45 AM

Last photo:

Okay, it is definately an internal manifold vacuum leak. I am going to have the intake milled unless anyone has a better idea. By the way, thanks again for the help folks!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Commercial advertising is not allowed in the forums, read the board guidelines. In the video, Art Wiese is commenting, D. Wiese congratulates him, and you, Aaron Wiese make comments as well, all from Lincoln, NE, same as the company you're promoting.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.