inline6/v6 choices - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 08:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

inline6/v6 choices

I couldnt really find what i was lookin for in other posts so here it goes. I have a parts truck that i used to build my 69 gmc. I have enough to get it back on the road with what is left, except for the engine and trans. It is a 68 chevy stepside that i would like to use as a daily driver. Any suggestions on a motor /trans combo that would basically be a bolt in and get good gas milage. Thanks for ur input.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Back when I was a Junior in HS I had a 69 Chevy C10 that I tried really hard to find a hot V8 (350 or 327) for and got very frustrated that none were to found (big time dirt tracking where I lived)...

So with my dad`s help and a rebuildable 6 cyl 250 Chevy we put together a combo that out ran most of the V8`s and got good milage also... Nothing like the sound of a good size cam in an inline 6...

But on the other hand they are getting pretty rare and the 4.3 V6`s are very easy to find and make great power in stock form (lots of parts to had also)... So kinda what ever you run across...?

But whats funny is now I have a 69 C10 that I have had for 14 years that came with a 427 BBC and several SBC`s later its got another 427 BBC in it now...
Old 05-16-2005, 08:40 PM

Neat project.If you can find a 4.3 V6 Vortech it is a good choice.I have built one that had 40k miles.I used a special 'Brock manifold,a normal electronic distributor,and had Crower regrind the camshaft to 270*.It gave us 300 HPs at 5500 rpm! Amazing.Stock pistons,compression,rods,valves etc.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Toss in a 4.2L I6 out of a Trailblazer
Old 05-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwags25
I couldnt really find what i was lookin for in other posts so here it goes. I have a parts truck that i used to build my 69 gmc. I have enough to get it back on the road with what is left, except for the engine and trans. It is a 68 chevy stepside that i would like to use as a daily driver. Any suggestions on a motor /trans combo that would basically be a bolt in and get good gas milage. Thanks for ur input.
A 305 and 200-4R would be my choice if you just need a miserly driver. The 305 won't have to work as hard as a 6. Every 305 I ever had ( 5 of 'em ) got good mileage and none of them had an OD trans.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

You could always find one of GMC's big V6's from the 60's - 305, 351, etc... - however, they weren't known for either power or mileage, and that probably would have been more appropriate in the GMC than in the Chevy, as they were GMC specific engines.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

no I6. i would go small v8. make torque and have fun.before my buddy did his 289 mustang, he rebuilt the i 6 it came with. wasted a ton of money and wasnt fast.

i dont want to discourage you, but a american v8 is a reason to live. i would jump at the oppurtunity to use one.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:23 PM

thanks for all of your input. I was looking at building a low budget 327 but i spent the money left over on my amc 390(amx). I thought a 6 might be a good combo with a 5 speed for a little inexpensive fun. A small 8 would be nice though. I will see what i can find at hershey this weekend or at the yard next week. Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

I'm a firm believer in inliners, but for economy and power, on a budget, you could probably do better with a conservative small block.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:16 PM

Could u give me an example of your opinion of a conservative small block in this application. 305/327/350? backed by what trans?
Old 05-25-2005, 04:52 PM
~Low Budget Baby~

Last photo:

Trailblazer 4.6

i would definatly not use the trailblazer's v6, it sucks a whole whole whole lot! i have a trailblazer and it won't even spin the tires and has horrable throttle response. it is stock though except for like a 1/2in. lift i did with parts i found around the shop but i don't think that has anything to do with performance. i would go with an ls1 my friend has one of those and gets 30mpg? with headers and a k&n filter and 3in exhaust. he can get a 12.86 1/4 mile with it ('02 camaro z28) i'm not sure on price but i'd immagine you could pull one out of a wrecked camaro from a junk yard for pretty cheap. have you ever been to Carlile (i think that's how U spell it) they have some pretty good swap meets up there (up for me i live in unionville/lancaster) you might be able to pick up a small block chevy there
Old 05-25-2005, 05:40 PM

I live outside of lancaster as well. There is only one problem with carlisle, it isnt until the fall i think. The ls1 is one option i was considering. Not the cheapest but an option. I was trying to stay away from a computer as well. Thanks for the input
Old 05-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

Just had a twisted little thought...

Why not find yourself a 96-up 5.7 Vortec, and scrap the electronics. You can pick up a carb intake for about $100, new. Drop in an HEI, and slap the v-belt setup on the front. The only give away, that it isn't an old 283 would be the centerbolt valve covers, and no mechanical fuel pump. As a bonus, you'd have roller cam, and 64cc heads.

A properly built Q-Jet, and a set of 2 1/2" dump truck manifolds, should make it run very respectably. Not to mention acceptible mileage, if you keep your foot out of the big holes.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
A 305 and 200-4R would be my choice if you just need a miserly driver. The 305 won't have to work as hard as a 6. Every 305 I ever had ( 5 of 'em ) got good mileage and none of them had an OD trans.
Agreed. The 305 I had in the bird before it got the stroker was a 77 block with 88 H.O. camaro heads, edelbrock intake, 600CFM edelbrock carb (was letting my friend use my 600 holley which is a really nice carb that I haven't seen for 4 years now... ). I stuck a summit cam in it, something like a 218/228 grind with about .450 lift on either side. It had headers and whatnot, decent HEI ignition. Clocked it at 22, COUNT THEM 22 MPG on the highway on its last trip back before I yanked it out. 2.73 gears and a TH350.

The 388 (check my journal) gets...

K
Old 06-03-2005, 08:37 PM

for me this is a no brainer inline 6 250 chevy with electronic ignition
up grade easy to work on strong motor my old 70 shortbed gets about
18 mpg up and down the hills of pa. and this baby seems to run forever
if taken good care of !!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.