Inner Fender paint question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 10:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Inner Fender paint question

Hi,
I made some headway on my Plymouth and finally got most the tool I believe I need to fix and prep the body. So I sanded the outside of fender I have laying around down to bare metal with a DA sander and 80 grit on it and an angle grinder with a grinding disc on it for all the areas I cant get to with the DA. Now on the inside the fender looks pretty good. There are a few spots here and there that a rusty and I will sand them down to bare metal as well.
The inside is coated with something like a black plastic or sealer or so.
Now I was wondering if I leave that just the way it is? And what would you use to spray on top of that to protect it from corrosion?

I couldn't find anything useful yet.

Thanks for your help!

Tomi

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would add to your arsenal an angle grinder wire wheel from welding shop.
It is aggressive and can get into some tight spots. Wear safety goggles.

Go easy with 80 grit to avoid warping and metal thinning.

I keep my rides long time. I remove the old undercoating and spray inner fenders with black epoxy primer. I do this so I can keep an eye on any possible surface rust, it cleans easily, and because you can touch up any time. I am probably the only person in the world that does this so most will likely disagree.

There are some very effective under coatings on the market today. I don't like undercoatings because they can sometimes trap moisture for years and allow rust to form in areas wear water finds a path from inside the panel. I also hate removing under coatings. I do use under coatings if I am certain water can't enter from back side of panel; under carpet, etc.

If you need to touch up your current under coat I would clean rust spots then go to a paint shop to let them recommend what coating is likely compatible with your existing coating. If you are lazy like me I would just buy a can of under coat and apply to one spot to confirm compatibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.