Inner Structure for stiffness/Upholstery - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Inner Structure for stiffness/Upholstery

I'm finally getting somewhere on my build, (I am SO glad to be in the final stages of major Body Mods/Body Fabrication), and believe I will need to make an inner structure to stiffen the Body, make a place for Upholstery Panels and make some sort of Bows for the Headliner (thinking Wood for the Bows).

I am kind of stumped here-I have never designed this type of "cage" (for lack of a better term), and I realize I need to tie the Window Frames, Top and such to the Floor. Triangulation first comes to mind, but I am looking for pictures for ideas-for example, I am confused as to the structure between the Passenger compartment and the Trunk-do I put bracing in the Passenger side or the Trunk side or both? I was going to use 1" X 1" square tubing (not sure of thickness yet).

I want to make this structually strong and easy for the Upholsterer-can anyone offer pictures and/or insight?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

If you want an opinion from an upholsterer, here goes. No matter what you decide to do, it should not be in the upholsterer's way, unless it is put in too far towards the passenger compartment. Hang the rear seat back and from the trunk side position your bracing up next to the seat back frame. This will support the seat back and if it clatters, some padding will eliminate the problem. I would think a center brace or at most two vertical braces would be plenty. At the sides, wider, flatter bracing angled at the top and bottom corners like those in this picture of my '48 Chevy Coupe should work just fine. That should be the original bracing you're looking at with the one vertical brace offset from the center. I'm going to move this post to General Rodding Tech, but leave it here as well. I'm sure you'll get more and better answers there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0318-1.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	22951  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 07-25-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Dan,

Thanks so much for your reply (I am looking for as many opinions as I can get)-I did not explain it very well (sorry), this is for my '35 Coupe-it doesn't have room for a back seat (darn), so I guess that helps-I appreciate the picture. I am going to be running my Battery and Fuse Box in the back, and am trying to consider accessibility as well.

Good points-thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Take a look at Cboy Two's Journal. I think you will be surprised at how little inner structure is needed. The compound curves of the body do most of the stiffening. Also the window structures help as well.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...81&action=view

Most of the upholstery is tacked to the wood which is placed in the appropriate places.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:

I Have a 36 Ford coupe, I'm going to seperate the trunk area from the cabin area with a hunk of plywood and build a small cabinet type (upholstered) of doohickey behind the front seats to hold the stereo, knicknack paddywhack stuff compartments (no glovebox, ac unit prevents that) a couple of speakers, anything else that may come up. Stereo is remote control, cd - radio and tape system. I think with the plywood going across the back to close off the trunk it should strengthen it plenty good. Dan
Old 07-25-2007, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
I Have a 36 Ford coupe, I'm going to seperate the trunk area from the cabin area with a hunk of plywood and build a small cabinet type (upholstered) of doohickey behind the front seats to hold the stereo, knicknack paddywhack stuff compartments (no glovebox, ac unit prevents that) a couple of speakers, anything else that may come up. Stereo is remote control, cd - radio and tape system. I think with the plywood going across the back to close off the trunk it should strengthen it plenty good. Dan

Dan,

You know, I have thought about the Plywood idea-I am going to have a remote latch on the Trunk, and I think I should have some sort of access back there should the Cable break or something. I have noticed, as an example, on Hard Shine (on that high Dollar Deuce they were doing) that they "X"d the supports.

I believe I should tie the Quarter Windows to the rear Window and brace downward from there, but am not sure. I have never dealt with a Car that doesn;t have some sort of inner structure-this became apparent when I installed the Bearclaw Latches (from Rocky Hinge-thanks again 302/Z28!) adn shut the Door for the first time watching the outer skin shake!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
Take a look at Cboy Two's Journal. I think you will be surprised at how little inner structure is needed. The compound curves of the body do most of the stiffening. Also the window structures help as well.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...81&action=view

Most of the upholstery is tacked to the wood which is placed in the appropriate places.
I am sorry Homebrew, somehow I missed your Post-I am looking at the pictures now and, quite frankly, Cboy has done a great job but I am having a little problem figuring it all out-
Old 07-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:

Talk about timing, there is a show on speed channel as I type, 4:15, they're working on a 35 Ford 5wcpe, doing the upholstery, looks like they're bracing with some plywood. I'm in a motel, I don't have a tv guide..chop-cut-rebuild, caught the closing credits, watch for repeats. Dan
Old 07-26-2007, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

dinger,

I caught the very end of it too, but they moved too fast for me to get a very good look-I'll keep watching!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.