Input on my 383 setup - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

first question I have to ask is whether you are using an LT1 block or not? I ask because I see that you are trying to use a LT1 "hot cam". I've personally never messed with an LT1 before but if I'm not mistaken I believe the cam between an LT1 and a Gen I small block are not interchangeable. I could be wrong but I'm almost certain.

The shortblock with the -4cc flat tops along with a 72cc head will put you at 10.2:1 so that is right about where you want to be, I didn't look at the specs on the cam you chose but I would assume that you would want to with around a 230°ish @ .050 cam with around .525-.550" lift.

Everything else sounds pretty good, although I've never fooled with an FI set up either, I like good ole' simple carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Smoke Signals

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z View Post
first question I have to ask is whether you are using an LT1 block or not? I ask because I see that you are trying to use a LT1 "hot cam". I've personally never messed with an LT1 before but if I'm not mistaken I believe the cam between an LT1 and a Gen I small block are not interchangeable. I could be wrong but I'm almost certain.

The shortblock with the -4cc flat tops along with a 72cc head will put you at 10.2:1 so that is right about where you want to be, I didn't look at the specs on the cam you chose but I would assume that you would want to with around a 230°ish @ .050 cam with around .525-.550" lift.

Everything else sounds pretty good, although I've never fooled with an FI set up either, I like good ole' simple carbs.
I've wondered this same thing. I found out it's a '96 block (1024388C). I think it's from GM's crate motor line. I believe it's Gen 1 though, but when I search for parts like on summit racing and I put in '96, only LT stuff comes up. So I leave the '96 out and put in Gen 1.
When I requested a cam from Lunati, I said a '96 block and the LT cam is what they came up with. Once I actually order, I would call them up and discuss what I have.

Thanks for pointing that out though. I would like to hear more on what everyone else thinks about this Gen 1 & LT stuff.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

The 96' block could be an LT block because it wasn't until around 97-98 that they started using the LS blocks regularly. But more than likely its a 96' gen I block with a OEM roller cam. You need a OEM style roller cam, not a retro fit style roller cam. Also you will need OEM style roller lifters and not retro fit roller lifters. Typically the OEM style is slightly cheaper.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.