Hot Rod Forum banner

Inquiring about 700r4 tv cable

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Slammedsi 
#1 ·
Will a incorrectly adjusted tv cable cause the trans to only **** up to the next gear at or near wot, and higher in the rpm range?

#3 ·
I adjusted the TV cable per a source i found online, and it still doesn't want to shift unless its near the top of the rpm range. Unsure where to go from here. I have a newly rebuilt trans laying in my shop, but don't want to change it out unless it has to be.

#4 ·
Does the cable have any slack in it with throttle at the closed position?

If the minimum cable setting is not enough, the trans will go into "fail safe " mode IF the fail safe check ball is installed. This fail safe mode will cause high RPM shifts like WOT and the shifts will be firm.

You may also have a worn out valve bore for the TV valve in the valve body. Oil pressure can get behind the inner TV valve and force it over to MAX stroke... that will also cause late - firm shifts like a WOT

#5 ·
Thanks crosley, I will have to check in the morning to be sure. Whats strange is this all started happening over night. When I first put the trans in the truck it had problems like slipping in gear and flaring between shifts. Adjusted the tv cable and it seemed to fix the problem. Then one cold mornimg on the way to work it just started hanging in gear but would finally shift. It progressed to only shifting high in The rpm range with in the same day.

#9 ·
After letting the truck set for a full 24hrs, I got in to drive it to my shop. To my surprise it shifted... :confused: I went ahead and drove around town a for a while. It only hung I gear twice during a thirty minute drive around town. I'm so lost on what is causing this problem. Suggestions are very welcome at this point...

#10 ·
Starting to sound like trash or wear causing binding, TV valve/sleeve maybe.
If it does it again, disconnect the TV cable, engine running, E-brake on, snatch cable a dozen or so times & reconnect.

There's also a Governor screen under the Valvebody at rear that can cause problems if restricted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.