inside info - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

inside info

Hi All,
I want my '89 Iroc to end up with a 6 point cage that's finished and probably at least partly wrapped with foam or whatever, aftermarket seats (Arizens look like good value for the $$), no rear seat and new carpeting. I'm going for a more or less luxo road racing look.
My question is: What do I do first after I've removed the seats and the old carpet?
I want a welded cage so my first thought is to do that with the interior out of the car so the welding can be done with no worries about damaging the new carpet. On the other hand, I read recently that installing carpet with a cage in place is difficult because access is limited by the tubes and it all has to be installed around the tube attachment points.
I'm also not clear on how to make sure an after market seat is going to work with the cage.
Any comments or advice is appreciated.
What's a Mutha to do? :-)
Chuck

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 AM

What's a Mutha to do? :-)

Hi all,
I want the interior of my '89 IROC to end up with a six point, crackle finish, at least partially foam wrapped, welded cage, aftermarket seats (Arizens look like good value for the $$), no rear seat and new carpeting. I'm going for a luxo road racing look.
My question is this: What do I do first after the old seats and carpet are removed?
My first thought would be to do the cage so that welding, etc. can be done with no worries about damaging the new carpet. On the other hand, I recently read that carpet is very difficult to install with a cage in place due to restricted access to the interior, especially in the back seat area.
I'm also not clear on how to manage fitting aftermarket seats with a cage in place.
Any advice or comments are appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Chuck
Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

H'mm double posts..well get the seats that you want and a cage kit if you have not done this before..set the seats into place so you know where they need to be and then layout and install the cage..get the cage welded and painted and then proceed with whatever you plan on the rest of the interior..

I would need to have you in the shop so I can get the seat fitted properly..once that is done then the cage can be installed..

Sam
Old 07-06-2007, 10:31 AM

Sam,
It looks like I'm going to need the help of professionals like yourself. I'm far enough away from you that I probably need to find someone in my area. Any tips on how to find a good shop to work with? I'm between San Francisco and Sacramento.
Chuck
Sorry about that double post...
Old 07-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

Make sure you know what you want for an interior before you install a roll bar

Here are my thought from hard learned experiences that I have from roll bar cars.

1st decide on why you want the bar. There are several different ways to fab the bars and what the ultimate strength wanted will have a great deal of impact on the bars overall construction and dimensions to you as the occupant.

2nd decide on what the other interiors pieces will be. Do you want a stock dash, door panels and or interiors quarters. This has alot to do to what the routing to the floor and location are going to be. I have seen bars that prevent access to anything and heaven help you if you need to get a dash out after the fact or inside the cowls covers.

3rd decide on what kind of padding do you want. In many places (with exception of door openings) bar padding is more of a creature comfort than anything 1/2 high density should cover most apps. If the bar is low enough to hit your head on it without a helmet than you should consider again how the bars built because with a helmet you probably cant sit comfortably in the car.
Door bar padding if needed for impacts can be covered with roll bar foam covers that are about 3 inches in diameter but are biased so that the pad is about 1 1/2 inches to the occupant and 1/2 to the door.

4th and finally is the seat because the bar to any inner structure like a console or a tunnel

In the end a interior person should be consulted on the interior panel impacts before the bar is installed so he or she may have a chance to guide you and the fabricator of the bar on the clearances if access is needed.

hope this helps a little Good luck
Old 07-06-2007, 06:45 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

You might want to check with your insurance company. Some of them won't insure a car with a bar. Also check their rules on wheel tubs. Shop around !!

Good Luck,

454 RATTLER

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.