Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Inspection of Edelbrock Performe RPM heads
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 04:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Also might make sure the springs are up to par with your cam while you have them out, especially if you plan to go roller cam. I'd take them to a good shop and have them checked with a Rimac spring tester. Of course you'll have to know what cam requirements are 1st. Do you have a roller or flat tappet? Are you keeping the same cam it came with and do you know its specs? Do you know how hard the engine was ran and if the valves were floated? Do you plan on turning high rpms? New springs may be the best way to go? I installed beehives(26986-16) on mine for a roller cam and the heads were brand new. I found out later that the stock springs weren't good enough for a roller cam. Of course the beehives need new retainers/locks/seats/shims. Then you'll probably need a mic to set up the spring installed height. It can get into the wallet.
I'd also give the decks a real good inspection for indentation(brinelling) around the chambers from a gasket that had an integral o-ring. Might have to get them surfaced at a shop. You can probably get by without surfacing/milling if you use the same part number gasket.
Are the tips of the valves worn? Are you gonna use the same rockers? If you are, label them and install them on the same stud/valve. Same goes for the push rods. Are the tops of the rocker studs flat or damaged from polylocks?
If it was me, I'd probally get a valve job done just so I'd know that I started fresh. Same goes for the stem seals. How many miles on the heads?
While you have the springs out verify the spring seats aren't damaged, big deal on aluminum heads. They should have at least had shims between the spring & head.
It all depends on how much you want out of the heads and how long you want them to last? (and how anal like me you are)FWIW
ssmonty
Forgive the spelling