Install harmonic balancer. - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

yea, i've always wanted a chevelle, preferably a 1970. Currently have a 78 firebird

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Why not just heat it up and slide it back on there? Ain't like it's going to fall off. Look at what you had to do to get it off in the first place.

The only balancer failure I've ever encountered (including 1 of mine) was it just blew apart! Even with a bolt-on balancer, you still have to use a puller.

I would put it back on the way it was designed to be. One less bolt to turn the next time.

I thought you wanted to know how to get it back on without drilling and tapping the crank?

Now look at ya!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Why not just heat it up and slide it back on there? Ain't like it's going to fall off. Look at what you had to do to get it off in the first place.

The only balancer failure I've ever encountered (including 1 of mine) was it just blew apart! Even with a bolt-on balancer, you still have to use a puller.

I would put it back on the way it was designed to be. One less bolt to turn the next time.

I thought you wanted to know how to get it back on without drilling and tapping the crank?

Now look at ya!
Good point... Yea, i'm to lazy to drill and tap it anyway!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

And it sure was a ***** to take off!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Smart Enough to be Dangerous

Last photo:

Hey Frisco - that drawing is excellent!! Thank you very much. I downloaded it a few months back when my 40-year-old damper seperated and had the guide made. Finally used it tonight. I have some pictures but it's late and I'm kinda lazay...

My crank is a 60s something (obviously) 327. It was not drilled and tapped but it did have a small pilot hole and countersink.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2wheels
Hey Frisco - that drawing is excellent!! Thank you very much. I downloaded it a few months back when my 40-year-old damper seperated and had the guide made. Finally used it tonight. I have some pictures but it's late and I'm kinda lazay...

My crank is a 60s something (obviously) 327. It was not drilled and tapped but it did have a small pilot hole and countersink.
Glad to see that someone thought to have the guide manufactured. It works well and can be a very useful aid to either add threads to an existing crank that doesn't have them or even to drill and tap to repair stripped out threads that are then repaired with a heli-coil. This is for use when the crank is still installed in the engine block. The one I made the drawing is for a small block Chevrolet crank snout. The drawing is easily modified to conform to any crank that needs to have the end drilled and tapped without complete removal from the engine block.

The obvious correct thing would be to have several of the guides manufactured with various ID holes. One for a smaller pilot drill. One for the tap drill. One for the tap. If repairing stripped out threaded hole, then one for the heli-coil tap drill.

The original countersink you mentioned was done at the factory with what is called a drill/countersink (centerdrill) cutting tool. It is there so that the crank can be supported on a dead center or a live center to machine/grind/polish the crank journals.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.