Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Install issues with 7 wire Chieftain turn signal switch...help please
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 PM
It's a dry cold.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
....Then I ran the wires for the rear lights using new wire all the way back to just before each of the left and right bulb sockets, splicing them into the sockets there. Now when I try to use either directional both are coming on instead of just one side. I'm guessing I have something hooked up wrong and it's back feeding power back through the circuit and into both bulbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
....Was I right to run my wires all the way back to the sockets? I may be wrong in how they're hooked up. One lead has the parking light feed into it and the other has both the brake and signal feeds going into it.
Sounds like you may have spliced your new turn light wires into the existing brake light wiring, but left the original brake light wiring intact. This will cause an interconnection between the left and right rear turn signals.

Your new wires from the turn signal switch should be the only wires connected to the bright filaments on the stop/turn lamps. You need to eliminate any connections between the stop/turn lamps and the original brake light wiring.

On the front lights, converting the existing turn light sockets to accept dual filament bulbs would be the best, most reliable solution, IMO.

If you really want to use single filament bulbs for both park and turn lights, it is possible. You could use a trailer light converter like this one to combine the park and front turn light functions. Not sure if it will work if your car is still 6 volt. In either case you still need to run separate wires out to each of the front turn lights.

Hope this helps....