Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Install issues with 7 wire Chieftain turn signal switch...help please
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
....everything is operating properly now.....except when I turn on the parking or headlights. Then my signals no longer work. I checked and they are on different filaments so I'm not sure what's causing the issue. Any thoughts?
My first thought is it really sounds like a weak ground somewhere. I would start by triple-checking all the grounds. If the car has been repainted, the factory lamp grounds are no longer adequate. I've chased my tail so many times on lamp grounds that I now always solder ground wires directly to the lamp sockets and ground them to the frame. I also ground the headlights directly to the frame instead of the inner fenders or radiator support (that might be overkill - but it works great, every time).

If it's not the ground(s), it could be that, for whatever reason, the lamp contacts are not lining up with the socket contacts, like maybe one of the bulbs isn't turned to the fully locked position, or perhaps one of the socket contact discs is not indexed correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
Oh one other issue as well. The car has fog lights on the front and we decided we would disconnect them from the switch under the dash and wire them in seperately for the front signals instead. However they are much dimmer when hooked up to the turn signal switch than when they are hooked up to the foglight switch. Is the turn signal switch not providing them with enough power? As fog lights they are drawing power straight off of the battery.
It's likely that the fog lights are too much load for the flasher and/or the turn signal switch. Those old 6v fog lights draw a lot of amperage. I would measure how much amperage one of the fog lights draws before going any further with that. You might be destroying your TSS trying to do that.

If you converted the fog lights to accept an 1154 bulb, then using them for turn lights would be quite doable. But I would hesitate to do it with the original bulbs.

Good luck.....