Installation help SBC HV Oil Pump Spring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Installation help SBC HV Oil Pump Spring

After I pull the oil pan...does the pump have to be taken out to replace the stock spring with a high volume spring in a 327 SBC? Step by step installation would be appreciated. Such as...does the distributor have to come out...prime the pump before starting etc. What about the gasket? Looking at new HV pumps, nobody supplies a gasket. What if I buy a new HV pump....what has to be done to replace the complete unit?

Thanks~~~~Ron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Donīt think a spring swap will give you high volume.

To swap out the pump drop the pan, unbolt the old, bolt in the new.
No gasket, no priming, distributor stays in.

To swap my pump in my Camaro I had to remove the distributor cap (whacks firewall) and remove engine mount bolts, driverīs side rocker cover (it whacks the windscreen wiper motor) then raise the motor.
Be sure to block the raised motor securely.
Next I turned the crank 180š from number 1 TDC, this lets the pan clear the crank throws as it must pass between crank and crossmember.
I took my old pump out carefully and looked at the intermediate driveshaft noting the slot angle for the dist., and more or less got it right for the new pump.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 AM

Last photo:

the spring just makes the "relief" pressure higher. It will not increase pressure if you pump can't make it in the first place.

A high volume pump has longer rotors, so it pumps more oil per revolution which makes more pressure due to trying to push more oil thought the same openings.

if you need more pressure try thicker oil, or a HV pump, or rebuild the short block with tighter bearing clearance.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Oil Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
the spring just makes the "relief" pressure higher. It will not increase pressure if you pump can't make it in the first place.

A high volume pump has longer rotors, so it pumps more oil per revolution which makes more pressure due to trying to push more oil thought the same openings.

if you need more pressure try thicker oil, or a HV pump, or rebuild the short block with tighter bearing clearance.
Thank you for your insight. Summitt & Jegs sell a spring that says it raises the oil pump bypass pressure to 40-65 p.s.i. This is supposedly a rebuilt 327 cubic inch with a mild street cam. It was in my '49 Merc Sled when I bought it with 375 miles on the rebuilt engine. It holds about 40 p.s.i. after warmed up and running about 2000 rpms. When you pull up to a red light and idling at 650-700 rpm automatic in drive....it drops to about 5 pounds p.s.i. with the Dakota Digital Oil Gauge flashing noting low oil pressure. I don't like that!!!! I've put in thicker oil and it raised it 3-4 p.s.i.

What is the spring they sell for if it won't raise oil pressure at idle? I'm interested in raising the oil pressure not necessarly the volume.

If I buy a high volume pump and pickup will it fit in my stock pan?

This engine is resting in a '75-'76 Nova front clip in my sled. Looks like the pan will drop straight out.

All responses greatly appreciated~

Last edited by Sweet-34; 08-03-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: changes
Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

The new spring will not rise the pressure at idle because the pump is not pumping enough to reach the bypass pressure.

more volume will make more pressure, as the pressure will go up due to more oil trying to flow out the same openings.

yes, a HV pump will fit the stock pan.

The correct fix would be to rebuild the short block, but the hv pump will help (maybe another 10 psi at idle).
Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

I have this Summit HV pump in my motor.
Check your oil pan depth.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

I would use a melling pump.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEL-M55HV/
Old 08-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
So now he needs a pickup asm.
Whichīll need assembling etc.....

I think he was planning on keeping it simple.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

not hard to assemble, I use a hammer and a open end wrench to get those pickup tubes on.

plus he can set the depth better if the tube isn't attached from the factory.

he should also use a heavy duty oil pump drive shaft. And use a little rtv at the pump/shaft interface since the sheave is metal with the HD shafts.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEL-IS-55E/
Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 PM

No fit

A SB Chevrolet HV oil pump should not be used with a stock oil pan, if it will fit. A Melling M155HV (3/4" pick up) or Melling 55HV (5/8" pick up) oil pump has oil pump housings and gears that are .300" longer than those found on a standard volume oil pump. That moves the pick up screen .300" closer to the bottom of the pan. A stock oil pan has only about .375" clearance between the screen and oil pan to begin width so that leaves barely .075" clearance from the bottom of the oil pan. That little clearance will create a severe vortec and cavitation between the screen and the bottom of the pan with a loss of oil pressure and volume. You cannot buy a oil pick up screen assembly that is .300" shorter than a stock screen assembly. You can only purchase various aftermarket oil pickup screen assemblies that are longer than a stock pick up screen so they can be used with a deeper oil pan.

The Melling "Select" HV oil pumps, such as the Melling Select 10552, has a bottom plate that is .200" thicker than a stock oil pump bottom cover to allow for the locating dowell holes for dowels on the bottom of the pump gears. The .300" longer housing and a .200" thicker bottom cover moves the oil pick up screen .500" closer the the bottom of the oil pan. Since a stock pump only has .375" clearance between the screen and the bottom of a stock oil pan to begin with, you can see that a stock pick up, if used with a Melling Select HV oil pump, will be 1/8" too long. The screen on a HV oil pump should have at least 3/8" and no more than 1/2" clearance between the screen and bottom of the oil pan.

If your engine has low oil pressure at 650 - 700 RPM hot idle, your engine has bearing clearances that are on the high side of standard. That is common on most rebuilt production engines. That is because the owners of those engines usually don't care what the oil pressure is and do not have a accurate oil pressure guage. A engine is sometimes built with loose bearing clearances because the rebuilder wants to prevent a "come-back" due to a spun bearing or worse. The rebuilder does not know how the engine will be used.

You need to installl a deeper oil pan to use a HV oil pump with 1/2" longer pick up screen. Oil pumps, screens and oil pans can be purshased together as a kit in order to prevent expensive guesswork or cobbling up something that will fit.

A stronger oil pressure by-pass spring will not raise the oil pressure at idle. The oil pressure by-pass spring only determines what the maximum oil pressure will be with a particular oil pump.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Wow!!!!

Mousefink.........Thank you so much for your in depth answer to my questions. It was most informative and has helped me to make a decision. The engine runs strong....holds great oil pressure with no fluctuation at highway speeds, burns no oil, has no weird noises etc.

I'll just stick it in neutral when I'm setting at red-lights. When I do that.......the oil pressure goes up to 12-14 p.s.i. I could pull the engine and fix the problem at a large expense as some suggested. Why??? This is a fresh rebuild as mentioned in my first post. I'll just run it as is and when I get ready to sell, I'll inform the new owner.

You're the man..........Thanks again~

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.