Installed 3rd member, what a mess inside - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Grand Master of the Universe

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Installed 3rd member, what a mess inside

9 inch ford, 3.50 set. Before I grunted it into place, I had a look inside the brand new rear axle. Holy cow what a mess of shavings in the banjo and tubes. If I hadn't taken a look I'd have ruined the gears in about a week. I spent half an hour cleaning the crud and flecks out of it. Washed it all out, blew it dry and then vacuumed it out. With all the folds, welds, hiding places.... I hope I got it all.

Major name rear end manufacturer... I'm amazed they could send something out like that.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 07:37 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

They don't clean them out before they ship them to you. You wouldn't build an engine with a new block without completely cleaning it first would you? They expect the customer to do a complete cleaning before assembly.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

I hope they would clean them out if you bought a complete rear end assembly. Good thing you looked - I wouldn't have expected all that crud in a new housing. I see Big Gear Head's point, but I had not thought of it that way before.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

They clean them out if you buy a complete assembled rear end. If you just buy a housing or housing and axle package then you clean it out yourself.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
They don't clean them out before they ship them to you. You wouldn't build an engine with a new block without completely cleaning it first would you? They expect the customer to do a complete cleaning before assembly.
Ditto! I use a foaming degreaser to clean out the case and tubes, seems to work well, floating out a lot of crud. Swab out the tubes with an old sponge soaked in degreaser. Simple Green works excellant for this. I then hit the whole housing with the pressure washer. Used to take them to the local coin op car wash before I got my own PW...
Mark
Old 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

I wish you had posted pictures of the mess and also sent copies to whoever is in charge at that company.That kind of sloppiness will cost them lost profits from warranty replacements and customers they will lose because of the shoddy work done by their employees With the power of the internet spreading the word it can make or break a company.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Grand Master of the Universe

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I wish you had posted pictures of the mess and also sent copies to whoever is in charge at that company.That kind of sloppiness will cost them lost profits from warranty replacements and customers they will lose because of the shoddy work done by their employees With the power of the internet spreading the word it can make or break a company.
With the third pinch of trash I picked out I thought it was a bit excessive. It shows they didn't even blow the chips out when they were done. I didn't expect shiny-clean but really, I'd never send something like this out of my shop. I vacuumed before I washed and wiped to save on shop towels.

As far as the word of mouth/internet thing. Na. This is a well established company not likely to be phased by one guy on a forum.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

I use a lot of spray Brake Clean spray after I get all the big stuff out,then blow it out with air,there are times it seams, cleaning the housing and all the other pieces takes longer than setting the gear up!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.