Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installed Bendpak XPR-10C-168
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz1175
I've installed about 30 two post lifts, and a few 4 post. A couple of tips for guys thinking about putting one up- I always build the complete lift on the ground, laid down. No ladders to climb and no heavy stuff to lift 12' up. Once it's built, 3 guys on each post to set it up, (or a forklift). Level one post, then the other. No measuring- if the posts are level, the lift is right. Also, always drill the holes in the concrete all the way through- if you ever move the lift, just hammer the studs level with the floor so you don't have to cut them off. I can usually have one up and running in 3-4 hours, but at 52, I'm about done with doing them. Gettin too hard for this old man.
We put each column together, as per instructions, on the floor also. My lift is a tall one, just about 6" to spare from the 14'6" ceiling. We had to thread the columns up through the lights and ceiling fans, I'm glad we had a tractor and loader to do the lifting. I'm 61 and my brother is 50, there is no way another guy, no matter how strong, would have made doing it by hand doable or safe. Each column weighs right at 600 lbs. after you get the extensions on and all the cables, hoses etc. I would suggest you use some kind of forklift or loader, makes it much easier and safer. A smaller lighter duty lift may be different, but this Bendpak XPR-10 is a big heavy duty lift.

We had to put the top rail, that goes from the top of one column to the top of the other, up by hand using ladders. You still have to thread all the cables and hose from column to column with ladders. We set the top rail on the loader bucket, lifted it up very near the top of the columns, and lifted it by hand to the top of the columns. One tip I failed to mention in my original post. Leave the bolts to the column extensions loose. It makes it much easier to align the bolts for the top rail. I really don't see how you could put the top rail on and string all the cables and hose from column to column without ladders or a man lift, etc.

3-4 hours, it took me that long to unpack everything and read through the instructions, well almost.

The instructions are very good even though they jump around a bit. You must read them and become familiar with what is needed to be done.