Installed Bendpak XPR-10C-168 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Installed Bendpak XPR-10C-168

I ordered the lift on a Monday and got it the next Monday. You need a forklift to unload the lift from the delivery truck. The whole package weighs 1976#. I hauled it home on my 3000# ATV trailer with no problems. Didn't have far to go, just across town about 3 miles.

This will not be a detailed description of the install as you must read the step by step instructions. They jump around a bit but overall are very good, pictures and all.

We unpacked the lift and took it inside the shop with an end-loader. Each column after unpacking everything out of it, except the lift carriage, weighs 575 lbs.

Everything was there that was suppose to be and there was only minor paint damage to the columns. The supplied paint took care of that.

The hard part was setting the columns, standing the columns up and putting them in place. The 2' extensions make for a very tall item. Again we raised the columns with the end-loader and set them on our chalk lines. Six 3/4" holes were drilled using the base plate for a drill guide. All holes torqued to 90 lbs. ft. with no problems. It took minimal shims to get the columns plumb, a testament to the concrete guys.

It took two of us 10-12 hours of work to complete the installation. Seven hours the first day and we finished up the next day.

Four gallons of ATF and my 2500HD 4X4 Silverado was the first in the air. No problems at all lifting it. The motor didn't even change sounds going up.

Down speed is just right, felt very safe. If anyone has questions fire away.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

I've installed about 30 two post lifts, and a few 4 post. A couple of tips for guys thinking about putting one up- I always build the complete lift on the ground, laid down. No ladders to climb and no heavy stuff to lift 12' up. Once it's built, 3 guys on each post to set it up, (or a forklift). Level one post, then the other. No measuring- if the posts are level, the lift is right. Also, always drill the holes in the concrete all the way through- if you ever move the lift, just hammer the studs level with the floor so you don't have to cut them off. I can usually have one up and running in 3-4 hours, but at 52, I'm about done with doing them. Gettin too hard for this old man.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz1175
I've installed about 30 two post lifts, and a few 4 post. A couple of tips for guys thinking about putting one up- I always build the complete lift on the ground, laid down. No ladders to climb and no heavy stuff to lift 12' up. Once it's built, 3 guys on each post to set it up, (or a forklift). Level one post, then the other. No measuring- if the posts are level, the lift is right. Also, always drill the holes in the concrete all the way through- if you ever move the lift, just hammer the studs level with the floor so you don't have to cut them off. I can usually have one up and running in 3-4 hours, but at 52, I'm about done with doing them. Gettin too hard for this old man.
We put each column together, as per instructions, on the floor also. My lift is a tall one, just about 6" to spare from the 14'6" ceiling. We had to thread the columns up through the lights and ceiling fans, I'm glad we had a tractor and loader to do the lifting. I'm 61 and my brother is 50, there is no way another guy, no matter how strong, would have made doing it by hand doable or safe. Each column weighs right at 600 lbs. after you get the extensions on and all the cables, hoses etc. I would suggest you use some kind of forklift or loader, makes it much easier and safer. A smaller lighter duty lift may be different, but this Bendpak XPR-10 is a big heavy duty lift.

We had to put the top rail, that goes from the top of one column to the top of the other, up by hand using ladders. You still have to thread all the cables and hose from column to column with ladders. We set the top rail on the loader bucket, lifted it up very near the top of the columns, and lifted it by hand to the top of the columns. One tip I failed to mention in my original post. Leave the bolts to the column extensions loose. It makes it much easier to align the bolts for the top rail. I really don't see how you could put the top rail on and string all the cables and hose from column to column without ladders or a man lift, etc.

3-4 hours, it took me that long to unpack everything and read through the instructions, well almost.

The instructions are very good even though they jump around a bit. You must read them and become familiar with what is needed to be done.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i'm jealous lets see some pics
Old 06-09-2011, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

Here's some Pictures

Here are some pictures of the lift. Sorry for being so slow in posting them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4712.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	55911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4713.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	55912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4714.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	55913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4715.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	55914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4716.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	55915  

Old 06-09-2011, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

"I really don't see how you could put the top rail on and string all the cables and hose from column to column without ladders or a man lift, etc."

Again. I just do it all on the ground with the completed lift laying down. I never climb a ladder (unless I forget something!) Six guys, or a forklift, to set it up once it's all put together.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

Well two of us did this one with a tractor and end-loader and two ladders. It wasn't bad, but I doubt if I ever have to install another. The top rail was indeed the hardest part. Stringing the cables and hose wasn't bad at all.

There is no way you could put this one all together on the floor then just stand it up. It would have hit my lights. We had to maneuver it around in between the lights at an angle before standing each post up straight.

I'm sure you know what you're doing, but this was our first and we did it the way we thought we had to and striving to be safe.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 PM

Last photo:

I'm with ya there- I've put some lifts in where the customer was sure he had plenty of room, but it turned out to be real tight. And you're right- safety is the most important thing, whether installing the lift or putting a car on it. Looks like you did a nice clean install, and you'll enjoy the lift for years.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

that is a nice looking piece of equipment
Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

lift install.

I had my Lift delivered before we poured the concrete floor. I bought the kit to run the cables in the sheetmetal trough so there would be nothing overhead. I made bolt templates out of plywood and used 12 in foundation j bolts. I leveled everything and poured concrete sub- base to set the trough and anchor bolts. I leveled one set of nuts to go under the base plate to level the posts and junk pieces of strofoam around each bolt so I could get a wrench on to fine tune later. I wrapped the bolt threads with aluminum foil to keep concrete off. Al foil is a lot easier to get off than duct tape. I put in a couple of floor drains and had the concrete crew slope the floor . I thought it would be nice for clean up for snow melt off or pressure washing in the shop. That was a mistake. The transmission jack always wants to roll. I should have put the drains out of the work area and just used a floor squegee to move the water to the drains. working by myself I used the backhoe to install the columns. fine tuned plumb and torqued the top nuts. I couldn't find the bag of non shrink grout that we used when installing big building columns. I worked on the Mustang and the roadster up on the lift It was nice. Later I pulled in the dually diesel F 350 dump truck and raised it . with out the grouting ,, the base plate bent !. and the posts were out of plumb. I had to relevel and look again in the cargo containers and found the grout in the wrong cargo container, Elect and plumbing is supposed to be in one container and concrete and masonry-drywall stuff in another. To pressure wash under a car it's easier to put it up on the big 3 car hauler trailer that is open down the middle than clean up inside the shop.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.