installed new aluminium heads and have oil leak - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

installed new aluminium heads and have oil leak

I just finished putting my Edelbrock e-street 64cc heads on , when I start the engine there is oil coming out between the block and the head , it is on the driver side near the rear of the engine, I checked the intake manifold but don"t feel any oil back there, could the oil be coming out of one of the rear head bolts? can oil come from the head gasket? do I need to re tork the heads they are at 65foot pounds , I wipe the block were the oil is coming from and it just starts coming out from the block in the back of the engine were the head is laying,engine slants down towards the firewall , checked the header bolts they are tight. what should I check check next

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Check the valve cover gasket first or the distributor gasket. You won't get oil from a head bolt. You can get water from a head bolt as some go into a water jacket. Thats why you need to use sealer on all the head bolt threads. I have heard (but never seen) head gaskets getting "oil soaked" allowing oil to leak but if they are new gaskets, it's improbable. My thoughts are that the valve cover gasket is leaking.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:54 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

oil leaks

I used live next to a guy that built 20 circle track cars a year. ..He used to tape over all the oil fill --breather holes then hook up a vacuum source to the dip stick tube then get his stethascope and go around the engine listening for noise from air being sucked in.. ..he would put a dab of rtv where it was noisy and the vacuum would suck it in... too much vacuum would suck it clear thru the hole...just vacuum enough to plug the hole
Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

I checked around the valve cover gaskets I don't see any oil leaking I check all along the valve cover with my finger notning on my finger it looks like it is coming out between the block and head is this possible?
I will have to check again maybe the distributor gasket.?? didn't check that.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdude1
I just finished putting my Edelbrock e-street 64cc heads on , when I start the engine there is oil coming out between the block and the head , it is on the driver side near the rear of the engine, I checked the intake manifold but don"t feel any oil back there, could the oil be coming out of one of the rear head bolts? can oil come from the head gasket? do I need to re tork the heads they are at 65foot pounds , I wipe the block were the oil is coming from and it just starts coming out from the block in the back of the engine were the head is laying,engine slants down towards the firewall , checked the header bolts they are tight. what should I check check next
Except for the push rods, there is no oil pressure at the head. At the head block interface there is only return oil which is mostly on the back side since the engine hangs down toward the rear by a few degrees.

Going back to the head bolts, most penetrate the cooling passages and to be safe, all should have been installed with sealant to prevent coolant from working up around the bolt threads. The head bolts, or if using studs, the nut must have a hardened washer between the head and the underside of the bolt head or nut. The washer must be lubricated on both sides prior to tightening the fastener. On the intake, some bolts penetrate into oily sections of the engine and others may penetrate into coolant passages, all must be sealed to cover your contingencies and the underside of the fasteners need to have a hardened washer between them and any aluminum if that's what the intake is made off. Again the hardened washers need to be lubricated on both sides.

Most SBC oil leaks are at the corner fit between the intake manifold, block, and head. There is a lot of movement here from engine heating and cooling cycles. This seal is greatly affected by the dimensional fit of these components. Things that affect the height of the head such as milling or head gasket thickness will affect the seal in this corner. You need to clean this area and carefully look at how the intake is sitting. Felpro sells head to manifold gaskets in varying thicknesses which may be necessary to get the intake positioned correctly, especially if it was ever milled. You also have to carefully watch the valley gaskets where they blend into the manifold gaskets. Many people just gush RTV into this gap and hope for the best. I prefer non-hardening Permatex as the spillage on the engine insides doesn't form into ropes of cured rubber that can get into the oil pan.

Another leaky place is the rocker covers, especially with the older perimeter bolt style.

There is also the possibility that you have a porous casting that's just oozing oil and will have to be replaced.

Also the distributor, there needs to be a gasket between it and the intake.

So your going to have to clean up this area really good and with a bright light and probably a mirror, hunt for the source location of the leak and then determine the cause and fix it.

Bogie
Old 06-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Did you use gaskets or rtv for the back and front of the intake. If you used gaskets this could be the issue. If you take a mirror you should be able to look at the back of the manifold. It could be running down from the intake to the seam where the head meets the block.
I have seen oil leaks there but it is rare. i would bet on the intake or the oil sender.

Chet
Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

I agree with t-bucket, has to be the intake or oil pressure sender, did you remove the sending unit and not get it properly tightened or did you leave it in place(difficult but not impossible) and somehow hit it causing a crack in the sender or pipe? Also,there is a oil galley plug at that spot in the block under the head surface(top rear drivers corner on a sbc), but it never just starts leaking without being removed and improperly replaced. There is one other thought, the zz4 in my coupe was a factory return that had a leak in the front drivers corner that spewed oil and had a vacuum leak due to an improperly machined deck surface, I had the block decked and solved the problem, It would then also be possible that the head surface is machined improperly, or more probable, something is pinched between the head and deck surface in the rear of the block when the heads were being installed. I worked on a racing crew one summer and the team next to ours scattered an engine after a track tear-down and re thrash when someone got a scotchbrite pad stuck to a head and torqued the head down!! (we won that nite!!)

Last edited by streetrodderbn; 06-15-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: thought of another possible conclusion
Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

I used rtv on the front and back of the intake manifold, the oil sender was on the block not the manifold so I just left it alone , i checked the back of the engine near the intake manifold there was a hole were the manifold didn't cover coming up on the block on the drivers side alittle passed the oil sender I put rtv in it to seal it up plus removed the oil dip stick and re sealed it with rtv it was't all the way down.i am giong to let it dry and start tomorrow to see if it is still leaking.i cleaned the head and the intake with alchocol, before i installed it and I put anti seze onthred s and rtv on tops of the bolts torked them to 65 foot lbs . used edelbrock head and intake gaskets.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

I found my oil leak it is leaking from my aluminium valve cover on the left back side I tried a thicker cork gasket still leaking removed the cover put rtv all along both sides of the cover and still leaking , maybe the alumnium cover
could be bent but it was ok before the new heads, maybe you need special valve covers for Edelbrock heads? but the other side valve cover is fine not leaking
should I try a different kind of gasket I tried rubber and cork so far. someone told me to use 3M adhesive instead of rtv sealant
Old 07-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

The valve covers should work fine on those heads, check and see if its broke at the bolt holes, seen this happen several times from over tightening them. They could be cracked. JMO. Cole
Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Most aftermarket aluminum valve covers are 'flanged', like the factory covers. In other words, the intake side will have a 'thinner' flange, possibly with 2 'flat' ground spaces to clear the intake manifold.

If the valve cover was installed with the 'exhaust' side 'thick' flange on the intake side, it will cause the valve cover to not 'crush' the gasket enough.

Stephen
Old 03-19-2012, 05:09 PM

oil leak

i just started up a 350 with a 6-71 super charger, i have the same exact problem, i have been building engines for 30 years and have never had this happen. I have a test stand, so you can see exactly where the oil is coming from. The block and heads have to be machined to almost a mirror finish, no machining lines, if not , the oil from the drain back hole can seep between the block and head, put the old style felpro blue head gaskets on there, and problem solved. i leaned the hard way myself. Hope this helps....
The Following User Says Thank You to mfab1234 For This Useful Post:
scharpp (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM
1938 International D2

Oil leak

Oh joy I have a 350 with 6-71 blower with oil between block and heads leaking also, great I have to tear it down, I was really hoping someone would have a quick fix, Bummer, thanks all great info
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Make sure heads are properly aligned on dowel pins in block and CLEAN so as they can sit flat and seal properly ,you didnt mention ,but i had to use longer head studs from ARPwith my heads ,TRICK FLOW you might not on yours ,also do not use sealer on head bolts or studs ,use oiled hardened washers ONLY with studs .ARP has a goog moly lube also Royal Purple ,Hope this helps also i used fel pro 041 thickness no problems ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
scharpp (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 AM
1938 International D2

oileak

Thanks I was hoping it was just a retorque the heads issue, I raced circle track bump 2 pass cars so these hot rod motors are new to me

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.