Hot Rod Forum banner

installed a new clutch now bad idle

2K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  novaguy1 
#1 ·
I have a 1972 Nova I installed a mecloed clutch , I noticed that the distributor timing was retarded cause there was no clearance from the distributor and the firewall , the engine must of dropped when the trans was removed and possibly damaged the distributor, I re adjusted the timing the car runs ok but seems to have less power plus the idle is irrattic it runs at 1000rpm then will just drop to 500 and it seems like the engine has a strain on it when the idle drops it goes up and down from 1000 -500. checked cap no cracks, but the car runs fine when driving could I have a bent distributor? or could it be something else the car does a burnout so I don't think the clutch is slipping put e brake on and let clutch out there is no slipping, car just has less power and tork, don't want to take out distributor if I don't have too can I check by cranking the engine with the distributor cap off and see if the rotor wobbles ? any other thoughts?

#29 ·
still rough idle

HI guys,
I installed a new hei flamethrower igniter 2 distributor set timing at 8 degrees advanced with vacuum line plugged fuel pressure is 4.5 , I cleaned the plugs wires are good no burns near headers, sprayed carb with carb cleaner adjusted air screws in front but still not idleing like it did ever since I put in the clutch . Is there a way I can check the clutch and trans to see if it is binding it runs fine ? like when I push the clutch peddle to the floor it disengages the pressure plate but I think the trans shaft still turns with the clutch disc correct ? so , I don't know what else to do maybe change plugs and wires , anyone live near by to Bridgewater NJ ,I think I need help on this one

#32 ·
HI guys,
I installed a new hei flamethrower igniter 2 distributor set timing at 8 degrees advanced with vacuum line plugged fuel pressure is 4.5 , I cleaned the plugs wires are good no burns near headers, sprayed carb with carb cleaner adjusted air screws in front but still not idleing like it did ever since I put in the clutch . Is there a way I can check the clutch and trans to see if it is binding it runs fine ? like when I push the clutch peddle to the floor it disengages the pressure plate but I think the trans shaft still turns with the clutch disc correct ? so , I don't know what else to do maybe change plugs and wires .

#30 ·
my engine has a chain on the block so it dose not move much when idling so I don't think the idle is changing when running it idles at 900-1000 there is a mild cam in the engine but the idle was smoother before I will check the mounts there are about one year old

#34 ·
Did you disconnect anything electrical when you put the clutch in. Did you check around the bell housing for pinched wires.
Check the distributor for full battery voltage if it requires it.
Did you remove any grounds to get the clutch out, if so did they get replaced.

#37 ·
You could try putting a timing light on it and watching the timing. The idle hunting really sounds like a timing fluctuation to me.

You can also try locking out the advance mechanism and the vacuum advance if any but don't change the base timing. That eliminates the advance weights as a problem. If the hunting goes away, you know you have a advance weight problem.
If it continues put a timing light on it and see if the timing is fluctuating. If it is, you have a module or cap problem or cam walk or something mechanical going on. If timing is rock steady, but it still hunts, then fuel metering is to blame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.