Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Installed new reman'd Edelbrock carb... can't get engine to run! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/installed-new-remand-edelbrock-carb-cant-get-engine-run-140781.html)

MyHooptie 06-22-2008 02:26 PM

Installed new reman'd Edelbrock carb... can't get engine to run!

Hey guys,

I'm just trying to finish off this new 327 for my '67 Parisienne and am having carb problems. I just bought and installed freshly reman'd Edelbrock 600cfm. I'm trying to maintain that '60s old school look. I'm running old polished Vette valve covers and didn't want to cut them for PCV valves so I kept the old draft tube. Anyways, when I turn it over with my foot off the gas, all I get is the occasional spit of it trying to fire. Try again with the pedal down it will roar to life but die out the minute I let back off the gas. I don't have the elec. choke hooked up yet so I tried with the choke blocked open - same thing. So I was having a poke around, pulled a couple of the vac block off caps and found them full of gas. I have fiddled around with the adjuster screws in the front but have noticed no difference. If I'm not mistaken they are for adjusting the idle and prob aren't related to this prob? I do have all the vac lines hooked up to ports or the ports blocked off. I ran my draft tube to the back of the carb. I've read since that the large port I've blocked off in the front is intended for a PCV line. This can't be the cause can it? I haven't opened it up yet to check/ adjust the floats. I'm trying to avoid doing this and am hoping to rule out the exterior possibilities first. I can't call their toll free help # till tomorrow and this is driving me crazy in the mean time. Any ideas?

Thanks!!! :drunk:

JeffB 06-22-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyHooptie
Hey guys,

I'm just trying to finish off this new 327 for my '67 Parisienne and am having carb problems. I just bought and installed freshly reman'd Edelbrock 600cfm. I'm trying to maintain that '60s old school look. I'm running old polished Vette valve covers and didn't want to cut them for PCV valves so I kept the old draft tube. Anyways, when I turn it over with my foot off the gas, all I get is the occasional spit of it trying to fire. Try again with the pedal down it will roar to life but die out the minute I let back off the gas. I don't have the elec. choke hooked up yet so I tried with the choke blocked open - same thing. So I was having a poke around, pulled a couple of the vac block off caps and found them full of gas. I have fiddled around with the adjuster screws in the front but have noticed no difference. If I'm not mistaken they are for adjusting the idle and prob aren't related to this prob? I do have all the vac lines hooked up to ports or the ports blocked off. I ran my draft tube to the back of the carb. I've read since that the large port I've blocked off in the front is intended for a PCV line. This can't be the cause can it? I haven't opened it up yet to check/ adjust the floats. I'm trying to avoid doing this and am hoping to rule out the exterior possibilities first. I can't call their toll free help # till tomorrow and this is driving me crazy in the mean time. Any ideas?

Thanks!!! :drunk:

This is a problem that I ran into with the AFB style carbs when I was in the Performance business,in shipping the floats bounce around and sometimes stick.Take the wooden end of a hammer and tap on the top on both sides usually that will do it,there were cases where I had returns that I would have to reset the floats,it almost always cued the problem,Good Luck!

MyHooptie 06-22-2008 03:38 PM

Hmmm... gave the carb a gentle beating :smash: ...

Still acting the same so I pulled it off to find the inside on my intake drenched in gas. I pulled the top off the carb and carefully lifted the top) hoping to catch one of the floats sticking but both seem to be loose and moving freely. I did as described in their vid and flipped the top and checked the floats gap. Pretty damn close to 7/16".

Is there something else I should be checking while I have the carb open?

solidaxel 06-22-2008 03:43 PM

I am watching too see how this turns out!!
I have lived in the Holley world for 45 years so the "NEW" AFB are a challenge to me!

MyHooptie 06-22-2008 04:24 PM

Well if I can get this one to cooperate (and I'm sure its just something simple I'm missing) I'd think you can't go wrong for their price! This one only cost me $259 Cdn in the box with instructions, gaskets, and all the other goodies.

Although unlikely, I'm going back to wondering if its possible my stock fuel pump is putting out too much pressure. Is it possible the pump I'm using from my old 283 that fed a small 2bbl is somehow putting out too much for the Edelbrock? Edelbrock is very clear that their 600cfm likes no more than 6.5psi. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge or a regulator. I might have to go buy one...

MyHooptie 06-22-2008 05:26 PM

I put it back together and on. Did something right as its trying to start every time I turn the key. The engine is firing but just wont take of and run. Time to start playing with adjuster screws? Or should I be looking at something other than my carb now ie timing? I cant tell if its still flooding without taking it back off but like I said its getting closer to wanting to work...

Your advice?
Thanks!

solidaxel 06-22-2008 05:48 PM

When you lift the top off the carb where is the fuel level?

Is there any fuel in the well where the accelerator pump is?

Have you tried to check the fuel pump by seeing how much gas is pumped into a container with each revolution of the engine (ignition disconnected so engine will not start) are you getting too much fuel or not enough?

MyHooptie 06-22-2008 06:13 PM

I took the carb off before opening it up and prob lost some of the fuel that was in its bowls but even still the levels were quite high. My guess is with the floats in there it would prob be to its top. Don't recall if there was much for gas at the accelerator pump. I did previously check the fuel pump and its def moving gas... alot of gas it seems. With the end of the fuel line in an old spaghetti sauce jar, a few rotations had the jar half full of gas.

solidaxel 06-22-2008 07:57 PM

How did you set the timing of the distributor, is it a HEI or point type?

MyHooptie 06-22-2008 08:44 PM

Its old points. I just pointed #1 terminal of the cap in the general pos of the first cylinder with the plan on getting a gun on it once running...

toecutter 06-22-2008 09:18 PM

I doubt the old pump is putting out too much PSI sounds to me like something in the needle and seats not letting them shut. or just badly adjusted float levels.

I was gonna say that we used to pinch the rubber line from the tank to the pump till the whole shabang was bone dry, then we cranked the thing over and sometimes pressure would be enough to blow anything in the seats out, (sometimes)

course that was a long time ago we used to do that :(

Deuce 06-22-2008 09:25 PM

Now to be a wise guy ... but there is a threaded hole in the rear of the carb ... did you plug it? Makes for a big vacuum leak if you did not. I had a friend who installed a new Edelbrock 600 cfm on his 350 and forget to plug that hole. It barely ran ... and flooded the car. Check the plug in the rear.

http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/f8/f9/ba1c_1.JPG

This photo ( off the internet ) had a brass fitting in the place I am talking about.

MyHooptie 06-22-2008 09:31 PM

Toecutter - I've had it apart now and the floats look to be at the 7/16" gap they are suposed to be at. I pulled the needles out and they look brand spanking new their homes were nice and clean too.

Deuce - Yeah I have my vent tube? draft tube? plumbed to the vac port in the back. all other unused ports are capped off.

solidaxel 06-22-2008 11:43 PM

You may want to review that port that Duce is talking about.
Isn't the draft tube on a 327 coming out of the block in back of the dist. and going down to the bottom of the oil pan?
Explain how you have the draft tube into the Carb?

MyHooptie 06-23-2008 02:31 AM

On the old 283 there is a hose that runs from the hole at the back of the block just behind the dist. directly into the back of its 2bbl carb. If I'm not mistaken, it was intended to vent gases from the crankcase back into the carb to be burnt off. PCV valves have now replaced these. Seeing is there is a specific port (the large one at the front center of the carb) that is labeled as being a PCV port, I unhooked the draft tube from the back of the carb and blocked the port off. No difference.

I appreciate your guys suggestions. I guess tomorrow (well today) when I call their help line I will hopefully find out whats truly going on. I'll be sure to post what I hope will be a success story.