Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installed new reman'd Edelbrock carb... can't get engine to run!
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHooptie
Hey guys,

I'm just trying to finish off this new 327 for my '67 Parisienne and am having carb problems. I just bought and installed freshly reman'd Edelbrock 600cfm. I'm trying to maintain that '60s old school look. I'm running old polished Vette valve covers and didn't want to cut them for PCV valves so I kept the old draft tube. Anyways, when I turn it over with my foot off the gas, all I get is the occasional spit of it trying to fire. Try again with the pedal down it will roar to life but die out the minute I let back off the gas. I don't have the elec. choke hooked up yet so I tried with the choke blocked open - same thing. So I was having a poke around, pulled a couple of the vac block off caps and found them full of gas. I have fiddled around with the adjuster screws in the front but have noticed no difference. If I'm not mistaken they are for adjusting the idle and prob aren't related to this prob? I do have all the vac lines hooked up to ports or the ports blocked off. I ran my draft tube to the back of the carb. I've read since that the large port I've blocked off in the front is intended for a PCV line. This can't be the cause can it? I haven't opened it up yet to check/ adjust the floats. I'm trying to avoid doing this and am hoping to rule out the exterior possibilities first. I can't call their toll free help # till tomorrow and this is driving me crazy in the mean time. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!
This is a problem that I ran into with the AFB style carbs when I was in the Performance business,in shipping the floats bounce around and sometimes stick.Take the wooden end of a hammer and tap on the top on both sides usually that will do it,there were cases where I had returns that I would have to reset the floats,it almost always cued the problem,Good Luck!