Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installed pontiac 350 timing gears wrong
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Installed pontiac 350 timing gears wrong

Hi there all,

I really need some help please, i installed an edelbrock double roller timing chain set on my 1972 pontiac 350, its my first rebuild and i installed the cam gear with the dot at 6 oclock and the crank gear at 12 oclock like a chevy engine. I didnt realize that it should have been 12oclock on both. I ran the wires and stabbed the distributor with it on the number one cylinder and couldnt' figure out why the car was so low on power and would only idle decent when the timing was set at 18 degrees plus it got hot. Well with enough research i found out i put them in the wrong way.

I understand that i am now 180 out and should set my number # 1 cylinder in the traditional # 6 position. however what will my firing order be now? I need some help figuring this out so i can run my wires from the cap to the proper cylinders. Your help is greatly appreciated.

this is in a 1968 firebird with a pontiac 350 still using the original points distributor.

Thanks in advance!