Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installed pontiac 350 timing gears wrong
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 11:39 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Something to check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starin View Post
well the car definitly starts and runs, but when i get on the gas it makes a lot of noise and theres really no power. I definitly put the cam gear at 6 oclock and the crank gear at 12 oclock. so right now the way i stabbed the distributor is with the rotor pointing at the number one cylinder driver side closest to the radiator and that is where my number one wire goes. Your it should start?
Be sure that the plug wires for #5 and #7 are correct at the distributor cap and at the spark plugs. The spark plugs and the distributor cap terminals are right next to each other- both physically and in the firing order. The Pontiac heads aren't as bad as a SBC for this because #5 and #7 spark plugs are separated by the center exhaust ports, but it is still a common occurrence. If they're transposed the engine will run, but it won't run well and it could be described the same way you are describing how your engine's running.

Then check and adjust the timing if needed. A performance advance curve is very important.