Installing a 32 radiator (need help) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Installing a 32 radiator (need help)

Can someone to give me some guidance on installing my aluminum radiator into my brookville grille shell? My mounting tabs on the radiator just don't seem to be coming close to the pre-dented mounting areas on the shell. I'm thinking that I'm trying to mount the radiator too far into the shell.. the top corners of the radiator are hitting the top corners of the shell. Looking for photos on how someone else installed it. Does anyone have photos I can look at to see how far in the radiator should go into the shell? That's question one..

Question two: the radiator mounting bolts.. Has springs on them.. How does that mount to the body? Do the springs go between the radiator and the frame and become sandwiched? I've seen people mount them both ways, which is correct?

Question three: the top of the radiator seems to have a mounting area for the top of the shell, two small holes.. Does that mount up to the shell as well?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Last photo:

The correct way is for the springs to go on top of the radiator mounting tabs. You should have either a lock nut or a slotted nut that requires a cotter pin. Tighten the nut to compress the spring a little, but not too much.

The two small holes on top front of the radiator are for the hood hinge bracket.

Vince
Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Thanks

Vince,

Thanks for your input.. that spring is an interesting setup, based on what you stated, that will allow the radiator to have some flex without the radiator to firewall support bars.

Just got off the phone with Brookville, they think it's the top tank of the radiator.. it should have more bevel to it.. but the radiator guy states that he has these going in steel and fiberglass shells all the time, never has a mounting problem..

Guessing game right now.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Brookville radiator shells are no prize as far as manufacturing quality, but a properly built radiator will fit without a problem. This leads me to believe that you have a 'bum radiator'. I don't know the brand, but a friend had an aluminum radiator he wanted to install in an original shell and it was wrong.

Those two holes do mount to the radiator, which should have two tabs. The hood center bracket bolts there with two 10-32x5/8 or 3/4 flat head machine screws. You need to use some ingenuity to get the nuts on though. Those tabs on the radiator top are also for the radiator support rods from the firewall. Everything ties together for a fairly solid assembly. This is in my '31 with the '32 grille and radiator

This is a Brookville radiator shell, Walker radiator and a Cooling Components(Walker owned) fan.

Shows those @#$% springs.

The a/c stuff is gone now, too

Dave W
Old 04-18-2011, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualg
Can someone to give me some guidance on installing my aluminum radiator into my brookville grille shell? My mounting tabs on the radiator just don't seem to be coming close to the pre-dented mounting areas on the shell. I'm thinking that I'm trying to mount the radiator too far into the shell.. the top corners of the radiator are hitting the top corners of the shell. Looking for photos on how someone else installed it. Does anyone have photos I can look at to see how far in the radiator should go into the shell? That's question one..

Jim
If you find an answer let me know. I am having the exact same problem with my Brookville shell fitting a griffin aluminum radiator.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Last photo:

Good photos Dave, thanks for clearing up that hood hinge screwup.

Vince
Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Good photos Dave, thanks for clearing up that hood hinge screwup.

Vince
Vince - my knowledge of those pieces after putting the hood on and doing a complete body realignment last week is "cozy".

Dave W
Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

test fitting

Dave,

Now see, that's a nice fit.. mine doesn't look like that.. my tabs are sticking out on the edge, big gap on top of the shell, etc. see the photos. I'm really thinking that the radiator top tank is a problem.. The top tank is 3 7/8" wide. see photo.. it rubs the top inside of the shell, not allowing me to move the radiator anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2[1].JPG
Views:	236
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	54506   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5[1].JPG
Views:	190
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	54507   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	54508   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	54509  
Old 04-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

You get what you paid for ... especially in radiators.

The best fitting radiator for a 32 Ford comes from Walker
But they are expensive ( some say ) ...

Brookville shells are like most of the Brookville stuff ... close but no cigar.
The Vintigue shell fits much better and even looks more like a 32 shell from Henry.

Walker also has a nice shroud to fit their radiators ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualg
Dave,

Now see, that's a nice fit.. mine doesn't look like that.. my tabs are sticking out on the edge, big gap on top of the shell, etc. see the photos. I'm really thinking that the radiator top tank is a problem.. The top tank is 3 7/8" wide. see photo.. it rubs the top inside of the shell, not allowing me to move the radiator anymore.
Can you send that radiator back to Griffin? That has no chance of being right without lots of work. While the Griffin's (and AFCO's) are pretty, Walker's always seem to fit right. And as Deuce said - not cheap - except when you get stuck. 1932 = 491-2 $625.00 to $960.00 depending on the version (Vernon Walker will often cut you a deal if you see him at a show - mine was over $100 less and they did the shipping as they didn't have one on the truck)

And the Vintique shells I saw at my dealer when I tried to trade him for a better one were about as bad as the Brookville when I laid them side by side - they just had their flaws in different places. It took me many hours to make mine 'right' - and it ended up being the best of six, 4 B'ville, 2 Vintique.

Dave W
Old 04-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child

And the Vintique shells I saw at my dealer when I tried to trade him for a better one were about as bad as the Brookville when I laid them side by side - they just had their flaws in different places. It took me many hours to make mine 'right' - and it ended up being the best of six, 4 B'ville, 2 Vintique.

Dave W

That is WHY I have a few ORIGINAL HENRY 32 shells laid back ...
Unfortunately, they run about a grand nowadays ... at the swap meet. BUT when you factor in the cost versus the cost of the repro stuff and all the hate, discontent and work to get the repro to fit ... a Grand is a bargain ...

Nothing fits as good as Henry's stuff ... even if it is 79 years old

A friend of mine drove my 32 ROADSTER and decided he had to have one. I found him a abandoned Brookville roadster on a P&J chassis. I am helping him with it. He bought a Walker radiator and a Vintique shell ... and the fit was perfect. A original insert even fits like it was made for it.

We are installing a DeSoto HEMI in it ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 PM

If any of you folks care to, you can look at my five year old company review and my undying love for the Brookville products. At least I didn't have rust to contend with while building my '31 and it ended up reasonably well.

http://www.hotrodders.com/cgibin/rls...1&icon-status=

Dave W
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

My radiator is an aluminum PRC unit. I made a sheet metal shroud that fits around the outside of the radiator and that's what the shell mounts to. Glass shell, glass body. However everything fits well. Many times you won't find that things just "bolt" together like you would expect. Mine took a couple days of fabrication before it fit the way I wanted it to and that's OK. I'm not into spending big $$$ if I don't have to and this solution cost a fraction of what some people pay, plus it cools my hemi just fine.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you. - Anonymous
Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

Nice fit

Centerline,

Now that's a really nice fitting you have.. no air is going to escape around that radiator..

After reviewing some other radiators, I think my top tank is just too big.. 3 7/8 depth. other ones out there are 3 1/2 or 3 1/4.. if mine was 3.5 or 3.25, I think it would fit just fine.. going today to review another radiator that is a local guy.. I'll advise the outcome shortly.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Returned and ordered another one

Well, after testing a local supplier's radiator (but cheap quality), his radiator fit much better. top tank was only 3.5" vs. 3.875". But I didn't buy it, it's imported and really bad welds.. So I just ordered the Cobra Walker series, it should be here by Friday.. will advise on the fitting when I get it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.