Installing camshaft.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2004, 02:20 AM
Gas Raper

Wiki Edits: 0

Installing camshaft....

I purhcased a camshaft recently to fit my specific application. I removed most of the stuff needed to install it, just waiting to remove the timing belt. But I was wondering, in ever article, guide and website I looked at they never talked about how to put the camshaft into the engine. I know there's a special tool to take it out and I can get all that done, but my question lyes in the lobe placements. So here it is, how do you know where to put the new cam in, which way for the lobes to be facing. Because If the lobe is facing up for the first cylinder, and I put in the new cam with the lobe facing down... I'm going to have a serious problem. What's the proper way to install a new one with regards to this, should I simply mark where the first lobe is when I take it out, or is it fool proof as most installation guides are leading me to believe. Please help, thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2004, 03:00 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

As far as I know, and even so I don`t know what kind of engine your referring to, there will be a mark on the timing gear, and the dots on the gear from the crank to the cam usually have to align. look in a book or it should have instructions with the new cam for alignment marks. In the case of a small block chevy the crank gear points up or the 12 o`clock position with the number 1 piston at top dead center and the cam mark points down or the 6 o`clock position.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:12 AM
Gas Raper

It is a small block chevy, sorry for not saying that earlier.

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the help.

Question though, are the marking's clear, and what does it consist of? Is it just a white dash or is it a groove int he metal?
Old 06-28-2004, 05:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The camshaft timing chain sprocket will have a dot stamped on the face. The sprocket will only fit on the camshaft one way so you don't have to worry about that. There will also be a dot stamped into the crankshaft sprocket. Those two dots should be facing each other when installed correctly. Camshaft dot at 6 and crankshaft at 12. Piece of cake.

Centerline
Old 06-28-2004, 06:46 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

A word of caution here.

The new timing set should come with instructions. READ THEM! Some sets come with several marks on them for advancing and retarding the cam. Make sure you have the correct marks.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

SBC cams aren't hard, and don't require a tool to get them out (at least I've never used one). The end with the gear on it goes in first, and you want the end with three holes and the peg on it to be on the outer end. If you get confused... look at how your old cam was in there! BTW, I don't know of too many SBC's that have belts man, I think you're going to find a chain under that cover.

Don't be afraid of a cam job, just buy one of those 15 dollar books about how to build a SBC and read it up. They'll give you the step by step. You'll have to drop the oil pan down a bit in the front to get the timing cover seal to seat properly when its reinstalled. If it were my motor, I would pull it and install a one-piece pan seal and be done with it. Trust me, there's nothing more annoying than a leaking pan.

Feed the cam into the block one journal at a time. Use two hands when you can to keep the lobes from riding across the cam bearings (the big circle things that catch the round cam journals as the cam slides in. Put the cam in, and stop at every journal to lube your new journal (I like 30 wt or 60 racing oil, sticks well) and put molly cam lube on your camshaft lobes, do not use the runny crap if this is a comps, it will run right off the friggin cam in less than a week. You'll also need to find TDC on your motor before bolting the timing set up. Line up the marks with the camshaft and you're in there. Install cover, tighten pan bolts, and you're done (basically).

Be sure to break in the cam properly, search this board or check a cam manufacture's website for more info

K
Old 06-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Gas Raper

Ok, just got the cam and everything you said so far makes good sense.

Last question though, this new cam is 114 degree lobe separation and the old one was around 110, do I need a new timing chain? my friend pointed that out, just wanted to make sure, thanks again.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:43 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

[color=aqua]how many miles on the old timing chain? if it ain't nearly new, do it right and put a new one on. time and money ahead if you do.[/color]

[color=red] is this motor in the car? if so, do yourself another favor, and line up the timing marks on the chain and crank BEFORE you remove the timing set, it'll make it WAY easier to keep in time. it really is a simple procedure, if you do it right.[/color]
Old 06-28-2004, 03:07 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

what MI2600 said!!! and a square can look like a zero. (which looks like a circle)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.