Hot Rod Forum banner

Installing a chev small block in the rear of an chev s-10

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  vegadeth 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if this has been done? I have an s-10 extend a cab,and i'm thinking of installing a chev 350 sbc,starting the motor just behind the drivers seat and then moving the rear axle to the rear of the truck.Using a 350 turbo tranny and linking the yoke of the tranny directly to the diffirential.Any input on this would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
I'm no expert on this, but, the engine and trans are mounted solid and the rear end has to move up and down. Hooking the trans directly to the rear end sounds like you'll be snapping the tail off the trans first bump you hit. You'll have to have some type of driveshaft with u-joints. As far as is it possible to mount it behind the drivers seat? Yes! In drag racing they have wheelstanders that do exactly that. Anyway, it can be done but there's alot of thinking you need to do before hand. Good Luck!

Racenuts

#3 ·
Thanks for the input racenuts,maybe i did not explain very well, but i'm putting a universal joint between the tranny yoke and the diffirential'i,m thinking along the lines of a ratchet, with a universal joint, whats your thoughts on that senerio, thanks again.

#6 ·
Thanks to you all out there that supplied the info, this site is great,and thanks oldcarguy i did not know about the s-series site. I,m new to the S-10 , i'm just looking to be a bit different, with wanting to put the engine in the rear.Maybe somebody also can tell me whats needed to put the sbc up front in the proper place headers or manifolds, rad , oil pan etc...and thanks again guys!

#7 ·
Heeeeeeeeey Vegadeath, it can and has been done many many times. Guy here closed to me put a mid engine 350 in a Toyota, looks cool, lot of work though. Seen a 350 mid engine in a Izuzu too, was on the cover of Mini Truckin in the early 90's, was a deep plum purple with a nashty cromed out 350 in the bed.

That was cool trix for alot of mini truckers and alot of fantasy cars too. Just shorter driveshaft, some run front wheel drive engines in the rear from caddies. They just modify it a tad, just think volkswagen and you'll do fine, just remember, if you do use a front wheel drive car engine/trans, the stearing wont work very well so don't try it.

Faust

#9 ·
I think you could use a Vette or Jag rear end that mounts the center section solid, and use a CV type joint between the tranny and rear-end.

I also think you could modify the tail housing, and output shaft to make the slip yoke slide into the rear of the main case, by machining a new plate to house the rear case bearing and the rear seal of the tranny. Leave the radiator up front, pipe the water back to the engine, scoot the bed back about 2 inches from the cab to allow air flow around the engine, (May require some scoops)
Fab a belly pan for the old engine compartment with ducts to let the air coming through the radiator out at the wheel wells. Mount a crossbed toolbox with the bottom cut out in the front of the bed and put a tonneau cover over the rest of the bed and you have a verrrry serious sleeper!!! :D :eek: :D

#11 ·
iVE SEEN THIS BUT ACTUALLY IN AN OLD DUMP TRUCK, THE GUY TOOK THE MOTOR FROM THE FRONT CHERRYPICKED IT AND HACKSAWED THE REAR END SO THE MOTOR WOULD FIT, HE THEN PUT THE TRUCK ON STANDS, TOOK THE REAR END CHASSIS CUT 2 AND A HALF FEET PUT THE END BACK ON, AND PUT THE ENGINE IN THE REAR, IT WAS A VERY INTERESTING THING.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.