Installing Coil Springs Safely - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Car Obsessed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Installing Coil Springs Safely

What is the best method to install my new coil springs safely on my '78 Lemans? I searched the archives, and checked the commonly asked questions list in this forum, and didn't see any posts about this.

I have a quality coil spring compressor, which I used to remove the old springs. I have new Moog springs, a bit shorter than stock, ready to go into my freshly powdercoated control arms. The stored and potentially lethal energy in the springs when compressed scares the heck out of me, so I want to do this right.

Also, I am wondering how you can get the spring to sit flatly in the lower control arm? With the front of the car up on stands, the lower control arm will not be in a horizontal, or level, position during the install process. So, how can I get the spring into the LCA pocket when the LCA will be at an angle to the bottom of the spring? I hope I am explaining my question clearly.

I very much appreciate any help you can give.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005, 01:48 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Spring installation

First put the spring compressor on the new spring and compress it to approx the installed height..Don't worry it is adjustable..

Get your floor jack and your tools in a convenient spot so you can reach them..

place the coil in the upper spring pocket and raise the a-arm by hand until it contacts the lower end of the spring and then slide your floor jack under the a-arm..Pump the floor jack up until you can get the ball joint into the spindle and put the nut on and torque the ball joint nut down...

Then release the spring compressor and the lower end of the spring should just guide into the lower a-arm spring pocket...Remove the compressor and you are done..

Don't forget the cotter keys in the ball joint nut tho..

Should take about as long to do as for me to type all of this...

OMT
Old 06-23-2005, 06:24 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

Also, when you compress the new spring, before installation, note that it will curve a little one way or the other as it is compressed. You can make the spring curve to your advantage so it meets the control arm at a easier angle.

As far as safety goes, handle the compressed spring gently, no banging on it with a hammer and don't drop it! Use lots of grease on the threads of the compressor.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Car Obsessed

Last photo:

Ok, thanks for the advice. It still scares me a little, but I have more info now than before I asked. OMT, I'm sure it'll take me longer to do each side than for you to type that unless you took 2 hours to type!

I am also wondering about "indexing" the spring, which I have heard guys talk about. What is that? Do you have to seat the top of spring in any particular way in the frame pocket, or just stick it up there? And finally, I know you aren't supposed to block that little drain hole in the LCA, but how can you make sure when you are doing all this that that tiny little hole won't be obstructed? Seems like you'd need to be able to finesse the spring's position to keep that hole clear.

Thanks for your patience. When confronted with a scary job, I tend to try and arm myself with as much info as possible prior to attemtping it.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

The spring is "indexed" at the bottom.
The spring's pig tail end should be between the 2 holes in the LCA pocket.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.