Installing a Corvette IRS in a 34 Coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2004, 10:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wink Installing a Corvette IRS in a 34 Coupe

I am installing a 1984 Corvette IRS ( Complete, wheel to wheel,series 40) in my 34 Ford Coupe project. I was not able to measure the Half Shafts inclination as the unit was jacked up and modified. The "back half " weight of the '34 should be about the same as the donor Corvette, but I have been unable to find the correct half shaft inclination degrees in repair manuals, and in crawling under a couple of Corvetts , found lots of variance . I want to retain the Corvette geometry ( promised the wife it would "ride like a dream "). Comments or suggestions appriciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 06:06 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The inclination angle is important of course but that will be established only when you load the rear spring. Just remember this angle is there only to facilitate CV joint life and can change with different shock applications. What you want/need to maintain is the locations of the forward pivot link points. These points determine the actual "workings" of the rear suspension and should be held pretty close to the original design points.
You will need to get some hard dimensions from a Corvette to determine where to put your chassis brackets. Measure from the third member mounting points to get repeatable numbers for your swap.
I think if you do a search on the web for this swap you will find kits are available and you may be able to get just the brackets for it...
Mark
Old 06-10-2004, 09:49 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks,cool....Brackets not a problem as I have my own machine shop (HOBBY SHOP to neighbors ) , I have the center on the rails,fabricated 4 bars with adjustable rod ends so can locate the pinion angle correctly. This assembly has what GM calls a "differential Carrier"
which is a cast alum housing that locates the diff housing in the auto from the rear cover of the differential. If I knew the half shaft angle ( 2 deg.,4deg ? ?) I can then locate my fabricated cross bar and attach the " differential Carrier ". The 4 '84s I have found and been able to crawl under (I have whats called "positional difficulty", or fat tummy )have in order 1) minus 2 degrees, 2) plus 7 degrees (it was jacked in the rear for wide tire clearence)and the others fell between 1 plus and 3 plus..I know u joint engineers want 2-3 deg of angle to keep the bearings from going flat ,but knowing Corvetts it may be a 0 angle (OR FLAT)...SO ANY IDEAS ? AND THANKS
Old 06-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Re: Installing a Corvette IRS in a 34 Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by Mc D's 34 Coupe
I am installing a 1984 Corvette IRS promised the wife it would "ride like a dream"
Have you ever ridden in a Corvette?

I also believe the overall width to be a issue.......

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 06-24-2004, 07:30 AM

Have ridden in several,owned a ' 64 and except for rattles the ride is decent.Width: 18" wheels with a lot of back-spacing brought the inside of the tires to withen 1 1/2 inches of the body,at present I'm adding 2 1/4 inches to the width of the fenders ( cut down the middle,added the extra there).

Was able to check out a stock (or appeared to be )84 with my angle guage..the axels were 2 degrees down from the differential,do you think this may be about correct ?Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:00 AM

I was told the half shafts were supposed to be level and that is how i am putting them. I am putting a 73 corvette rear under a 52 chev pu. The fun is getting everything level and square with so many moving parts. need 5 hands and 5 levels
Old 07-01-2004, 06:44 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have been watching this post with interest. I am ising the same suspension on a 26 T Touring. I have set-up mine with the half shafts level at normal operating height. I didn't do it that way cause someone told me that is how it is supposed to be. I just figured it would align and stay closest to specs that way.

I'm probably wrong. My wife says that I usually am. LOL
Old 07-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally posted by adtkart

I'm probably wrong. My wife says that I usually am. LOL

You married HER.........

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-04-2004, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the reply..it takes at least three sets of hands to push,lift or pull these assemblies around, and with posi-trac you can not adjust one side with out lifting he wheel...any way..I installed the assembly with an assortment of "c" clamps and tempory brackets, put the body on and 140 lbs of cement bags in the trunk area. As removed from the 'Vette, the half shafts are at 1 plus degrees in the '34, camber looks about correct and there is 6 1/2 inches of total travel before frame contact.I'm going to install as is,if its screwed up then my wife can say " I told you so". The nice part is you can change the spacers at the end of the springs and raise or lower the body as needed untill you run out of camber adjustment. Did you have to change the over-all width to install in the "t" ? Neighbor has a 55 chevy truck, caught him measuring my IRS, he says it would fit nice..I chained and locked the assembly.

Have any of you got pics of your 'vette IRS in a rod ?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:39 PM

corvette irs

sure do i am putting a 71 vette axle into a 38 chevy pu documented at (www.hotrod.ie)
Old 03-28-2010, 03:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I have always set up the C4 IRS with the toe adjusters level at ride height.

Andy
Old 03-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by herriot
sure do i am putting a 71 vette axle into a 38 chevy pu documented at (www.hotrod.ie)

This thread is six years old.. He may have it done by now..

His last sign in was on 05-07-2005..
Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Haha bring it back from the dead, although im doing this exact thing now, 87 irs in a 33/34,

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.