Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installing a detroit diesel 8v-71 on a sbc, any ideas?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Bottle Of Whiskey

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm no expert in original Detroit Diesel super chargers, but I didn't think the charger we use in the performance industry that gets labeled as a "8-71" is anything from a factory engine, but instead 8V71 screws in a custom housing?

As well, from what I understand making a original blower from a 71 work requires you to purchase the end caps, belt drive, carb adapter, and other work at a minimum. Best thing I can say is hit the google. I have heard people saying they require a bunch of machine work, and others that say the parts I described are all that is needed. I haven't done one of these conversions myself, so I don't feel all that comfortable about saying what you need to do.

All the parts you would have to buy, and the effort alone strikes me as less then worth while for someone on a budget...

They are fun though! A 8-71 Weiand put my Dad's 350/TH400 ladder bar Monte Carlo into the 10.0X range spinning the tires. Pulling the engine apart at the end of every season showing a engine that looked like it was hardly ran...