Hot Rod Forum banner

installing an egine

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  redlightning 
#1 ·
I'm about to start on my first project, It's a 1963 chevy truck. I was wondering if anyone new a good manuel that I can get to help me install my engine and transmission. I've got the shop manual but it does little good for the acual installation. I'm new to hotrodding always been interested but I fanily got the means to learn
thank.

#3 ·
Installing an engine

Its at least a two man job with the hood off,radiator out and the front clip still in place. The trick is to get the engine in there without damaging anything in the process. I have NEVER seen a book on installing and engine so its trial and error...just be very careful and think about what your doing don't try and jam it in there!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

#6 ·
Ah come on guys, IMO, it can be done by one person, but you have to be VERY careful with the cherry picker. It is a lot easier with two people though. That way one guy can watch for the wiring and the transmission cooler lines. I did quite a few swaps in my Monte by myself. It can be done, just watch and be careful. Your best bet would be to find a friend that owes you a favor.... LOL

#8 ·
schnitz said:
Ah come on guys, IMO, it can be done by one person, but you have to be VERY careful with the cherry picker. It is a lot easier with two people though. That way one guy can watch for the wiring and the transmission cooler lines. I did quite a few swaps in my Monte by myself. It can be done, just watch and be careful. Your best bet would be to find a friend that owes you a favor.... LOL
i think 1 person can do it too, actually its quite easy. ive pulled out 3 engines and installed 2 myself(first times) with just a hoist attached to the beam in the garage and pushing the car forward to get the enigne in. even managed to remove the hood myself, ya without droping it or messn up the paint :D

#9 ·
mikeairmex,

Any engine/tranny job is easier with 2 people...But, it can be done with one person. Rent or buy a Cherry picker/Engine hoist,
lift the motor over any obstacles, when you start to get towards the firewall start dropping the eng/trans(If you have a helper, have them push down on the trans tail, while you are pushing the eng/trans in, and drop the height the closer you get to the vehicle. Go slow and try not to bump the firewall.
Good Luck...It's not that hard...(Only the first time)..

AngliaBob

#10 ·
Right on not damaging anything. Ive killed a couple of distributors, not to mention windshields usin a pipe frame and a comealong. lol Back (too many years to think of) 2 us pulled a 6 cyl motor using a 4x4 and blocks liftin one side one block at a time (wouldnt recomend this) its about as dumb as usin a bumper jack and rocks to hold a car up (ya just know that jacks gonna start fallin when some drunk starts leanin on the car) hope ive gotten smarter now but?? best advice get someone who has experince to help ya the first time. 2 heads are better than one especially when you find xtra bolts after youve got it in have fun

#11 ·
The very easiest if you want to do it yourself is to get one other person for a few minutes and pull the doghouse off. The doghouse is the fenders, fenderwells, grille and all, coming off in one piece. You have to be very careful not to gouge any paint though. Then the engine and tranny comes straight out. This lets you clean up the frame and paint it, clean up the doghouse and paint it, and put the engine and tranny straight back in. To remove the doghouse is probably an hour and a half job in itself if you have never done it. 1 bolt at the bottom of each fender (maybe 2 depending on vehicle) One bolt at the top of the fender where you open the door (door hinge area) One bolt at the top front of the fender. Two bolts for the core support (underneath radiator at the frame horns) One or two behind the tire in the wheelwell. And three bolts on each side holding the bumper brackets on. Remove bumper first, disconnect all wires from junction block (one or two screws to disconnect this) radiator hoses and wires from fenderwells to engine. And lift and seperate by pulling out at the back of the fenders a little. Lifting can be done by two people with ease. And no need to remove radiator. Just remember to take the hood off first. Then you have to disconnect the ehhaust, remove the motor mount bolts, gas line, transmission mount bolts, ground straps from block to firewall, and maybe one or two wires and the motor is straight out. Start at 10:00 and be drinking beer by 1:00 sitting back looking at all you did.

Kevin

#12 ·
engine swap

For us old graybeards, doing an engine swap as a solo act is not a big deal, however, we are talking to a new guy here and this is his first drop in.
I would highly recommend that you have at least one person to help you that has been through a couple engine swaps previously, and leave the 6 packs til you get done.
Been there and done that with the 6 packs and it aint pretty.

#13 ·
There is nothing like a bunch of guys getting together and getting drunk while pulling a 500-800 pound motor. Leave the booze alone while working with things that can hurt or kill you. Nothing spoils working on your vehicle more, when a buddy has to take you to the hospital. Find a friend who has some experience and ask him if he will help or show you what to do, when you wrap it up then down a few cold ones.:thumbup:

#14 ·
thanks

thankyou for all the help. I'm in the military and we have an auto shop where we can put the engine in an I went and asked the guys who work there and they are going to show me how to do it. they do this as a hobby. but thanks for all the imput I will be instaling it soon thanks

mike

#15 ·
Measure it all up. I have a 66 GMC and I can drop the engine in with the headers and everything on. I have about an inch of clearance on each side. It helps to have more than 1 person but I have done it myself. Just pop off the hood and come in straight down. I landed the block and mounts right on the holes needed to connect to the frame. Probably was luck though :).

#16 ·
Mike,Thanks for serving our country.Being in the military find someone with a hotrod chevy.There has to be someone on the base with a camero or something.Chances are good they have had there engine out and can show you ever nut and bolt.Your old chevy truck should be an easy one.Also years ago when I was in those shops they had crappy tools.Make sure you have tools for the job.The shops we rented had time limits also,I think it was three days max.Just some things to think about.Carl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.