Hot Rod Forum banner

Installing front suspension

29K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 ·
Hello
This is my first posting and wanted to show what I am attempting. 48 p/u installing 90 Corvette front & rear suspension. Pics are of front work done so far. Any comments either way are good.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Corvette Front end

NEW INTERIORS said:
Looking good !!!! ;)

Not really sure what people ever seen with corvette suspension,, :drunk:
But If your happy,,, That's all that count's.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I is a very clean and simple setup. Light weight and superior handling when you install the rear suspension also. It may be a little tricky to install correctly but worth it in the long run. Just my opinion. Now... saying all that, I picked up the front & rear complete suspensions down to the last bolt in excellent condition for only $700.00 bucks. Not a bad price if I say so my self. :D

#5 ·
Franko48 said:
I is a very clean and simple setup. Light weight and superior handling when you install the rear suspension also. It may be a little tricky to install correctly but worth it in the long run. Just my opinion. Now... saying all that, I picked up the front & rear complete suspensions down to the last bolt in excellent condition for only $700.00 bucks. Not a bad price if I say so my self. :D
that is a good deal :thumbup:

#7 ·
Franko48 said:
I'm excited to see someone taking some good photos of this installation. :thumbup: I picked up a rust-bucket '54 5-window that I plan to attempt the same C4 Front/Rear suspension swap. Like yourself, I hate to buy a kit when the C4 removes as a complete unit...

Franko48 - A few general questions...

- What ride height do you plan to have when you're finished?
- What wheels/tires to you expect to use?
- How are you controlling your level and square (frame vs. suspension)?

#8 ·
Front suspension

Thanks I have an overload of photos. I mainly use them to study before I make another cut. I would like a slightly aggressive stance not to low, the wheels have to be min 16" because of the Vette calipers so 16x8 all around, I want to be able to rotate them. I plan to drive this truck alot. As far as level and square look at the photos. I welded piece of angle to the frame just in front of the cab and triangulated and squared it to the frame. Then cut just the top and bottom of the frame then spread the frame. Now all you need to do is set the frame at your ride height and set the cross member level set wheel base and your there. Sounds easy but is a little tricky. If you want to know more details let me know if I can help. But I am taking this one step at a time I have'nt seen it done this way before so don't have much help.

Attachments

#9 ·
Everything you have said makes sense with what I've been looking to do. Here is a link 1950 Chevy 3100 w/C4 to a guy who's gone through a very similar widening of the front frame to install a C4 suspension... might be a help.

He mentioned the issues of matching the radiator support and fender mounting since the front was now wider... may be something to look into if you haven't considered this issue yet.

Do you plan on C-notching the rear to drop it down - or just install without much frame modification? I'd assume you'll naturally get a RAKE out of it without notching...

I was considering using an older 85-87 C4 setup to narrow the tread another inch ... but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

#10 · (Edited)
Front End

Ya I have seen that 50 on utube but did not catch the part about the remounting. I have some ideas that work out good on paper and mock ups. Not going to notch the rear, I am planing to install onto existing frame. It looks like after I get the front installed and about 600 lbs on it I will be able to set the final rake I am looking for. The early C4 is narrower, not sure how much but mine is out of a 90 and I got everything with the front and rear for 700 bucks I will have to have some special rims made but I think i will like the ride.

#15 ·
It looks like after I get the front installed and about 600 lbs on it I will be able to set the final rake I am looking for. The early C4 is narrower, not sure how much but mine is out of a 90 and I got everything with the front and rear for 700 bucks I will have to have some special rims made but I think i will like the ride.
I have done several of these C4 suspension installs into a variety of vehicles. One thing I would recommend (it may be too late) is to mock up the suspension components at ride height (for the front suspension that means hand assembled without the spring and mocked up so the tie rods are level, and for the rear suspension without the spring and so that the toe adjuster arms are level). Set up the frame at ride height and rake, and then mate the suspension. Put the suspension into the frame at the height of the radius of the wheel tire combination you will be using. Doing it this way guarantees the truck will sit the way you want it, and the suspension will be in it's proper static ride height position.

Regards,

Andy

P.S. While the later Corvette suspensions are vastly superior to the C4 in many ways (also much wider) you are correct in stating that dollar for dollar, these suspensions are a great way to get decent handling, great brakes and steering plus light weight and good looks for relatively low cost.

#12 ·
frame cut

I either had to cut it from there or notch the top of the frame to clear the "A" arm. There will be a bracket welded on the frame that the cross member will bolt to. It may look like it for now but when I build the upper shock support, gusset and box the frame I think that will do it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.